rocnred

How much for a hard drive??

Due to the flooding in Thailand, HDD (hard disk drive) prices have almost doubled in price due to a shortage. Unfortunately a lot of electronics come from Thailand and we could see a sharp rise in electronics prices in the near future for a while. The days of the $79 1TB hard drives are gone.

But on the other hand SSD's (solid state drive) are not affected and may come down in price to take it's spot in the storage wars. Currently SSD's are smaller in size and cost more. Right around $1.50 a gigabyte as opposed to HDD's @ $0.09 a gigabyte. But they are fast and small in size. We shall see.

Due to the flooding in Thailand, HDD (hard disk drive) prices have almost doubled in price due to a shortage. Unfortunately a lot of electronics come from Thailand and we could see a sharp rise in electronics prices in the near future for a while. The days of the $79 1TB hard drives are gone.

But on the other hand SSD's (solid state drive) are not affected and may come down in price to take it's spot in the storage wars. Currently SSD's are smaller in size and cost more. Right around $1.50 a gigabyte as opposed to HDD's @ $0.09 a gigabyte. But they are fast and small in size. We shall see.

Thanks Brent, for the tip about the solid state drives. I'm in the market for a new desktop pc. I wonder if I should configure it with solid state drive(s)? I like FAST... :) Any thoughts? (I usually go through Dell so I can customize... don't know about this time.)

Kathy

Oh my that's bad news.. Does it cost more if you buy from another country? Like somewhere in asia still like Philippines?

Guest MelissaG

This is a very late reply but...

SSD's are great. If you can afford them. Currently only the SSD's around 60 gig or less are in the affordable range. Also, you cant do a defrag on an SSD or you risk losing all your information.

Personally, I wouldn't consider an SSD at 60 gigs or less for anything other than a boot drive and nothing more.

If you're looking for a fast drive with lots of space at a fairly reasonable price, then I suggest a velociraptor drive. Its about half the cost of a comparable SSD and the fastest non SSD drive on the market.

What a difference a year makes. But a year in technology is like 6 in dog years.

I bought a Samsung 840 Pro-Series 256GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD. Total price (free shipping + no tax) was $254. I now see it at B&H photo for $229. SSD's have hit that sweet spot of $1 a gigabyte or less. It is very fast, has no moving parts, and it does not get hot!! I do like that.

I use that as my boot drive for my operating system & programs. I then use HDD's for file storage. It is a great drive with very good specs. It is backwards compatible with SATA I & II connections on your motherboard.

SSD = Solid State Drive

HDD = Hard Disk Drive

Late post also but there are bot upside and downside for SSDs. The upside is that SSDs don't have moving parts like HDDs so it's not prone to malfunctions that HDDs are susceptible to due to their moving parts. Simply put, SSDs are like big flash drives that have higher capacity. The downside is SSDs are very expensive and have lower size capacity than HDDs.

• Like 1

Late post also but there are bot upside and downside for SSDs. The upside is that SSDs don't have moving parts like HDDs so it's not prone to malfunctions that HDDs are susceptible to due to their moving parts. Simply put, SSDs are like big flash drives that have higher capacity. The downside is SSDs are very expensive and have lower size capacity than HDDs.

Price of SSD is a bit high but the performance is awesome. It works quicker than a blink of an eye.

• Like 1

I think its a little expensive (but its of Toshiba) 
You can get 320GB or 500 GB for around $50 . there is not much difference b/w HDD of different quantities

Edited by marythompson