rocnred

Well, it finally happened!

Okay, it is the last week. All I need anyone to do is: go to her Facebook page and hit the "like" button. It only takes 11.6 seconds out of your day to help her move forward. Please, please, please do that. :D

I would really appreciate it. https://www.facebook.com/janessaleighs

She has gone from rating #20,463 to currently #387. :thumbup:

So, do you think social media helped? :rolleyes:

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

So, do you think social media helped? :rolleyes:

Actually it has not changed my mind. It is really funny. I thought here would be the place to show that social media is strong. I assume every VA has a FB page of some type. There are 14,000+ members here. Out of those 14,000 I got 8 "Likes". WOW, not really what I was expecting. I thought there would be a lot more. The big push came from my end of my contacts and threads. I really expected a forum, that was so heavily based in social media, would have been more supportive and willing to spend 11.6 seconds of their day to help someone.

I did not think it was that big of a deal to just hit the "Like" button on a Facebook page. And I assume all VA's know how to edit their settings to disable posts in their stream if they wish.

I think you're hitting several points here and maybe missed a couple

1. You're right -- Not everyone uses social media to market. It looks like 'no big deal', but is time consuming if one has enough business without that effort.

2. Surprise -- Not everyone uses the forum. 14,000 members but not that many who are consistent users.

3. Next surprise -- Not everyone uses the NEW content button, but clicks directly on the topic that has the information desired -- or uses the search option. So, they miss you in the best of intentions

4. This is SOCIAL, Did you return the favor and 'like' my page which probably has no interest to you, but just might and after all, I'm such a funny old woman? http://www.facebook.com/socialmediamarketingstrategy

5. You could have posted on the wall that you appreciated the 'like' for your niece with an @ connection for her. That would show building relationship for her in the big SEO picture and you could be fan number 243 (if you hurry).

6. EIGHT people who are part of this network. Did you look them up personally on FACEBOOK and if you're not friends, did you leave a thank you message? To repeat -- SOCIAL media -- could be more than simple votes if you want it to be.

I'm a small fish and I get requests to 'vote' for someone constantly. Someone I never heard of; I often have to give over my information and then remember to unsubscribe (which ( didn't do for your niece) or open email to notices from someone I can't remember. I hope your niece wins, but I have my own niece and granddaughters, etc. who get the largest part of my attention. If you don't network with me and keep me up on your niece's progress, I'm probably going to pass on following her closely. It's social networking that makes it all work at any level, beginning with the vote and continuing to the day when we can all say "I knew her when."

The posts from the new page aren't an issue. I haven't seen extra activity from her, so didn't need to 'disable' or 'hide' her. My wall is so crammed that I have to have a list of special people whom I check on because I'm very likely to miss their activity even though I 'work' on Facebook almost all day. Yesterday, I missed a very sweet message all day.

Gotta go now and catch up on my social media work so I can go to the onsite place and do their social media implementation. Come over for tea when you can.

Social media networking can be a thankless job. Being social and building relationships can take work, but, I'd hope that the interactions, comments, 'votes', and such would have been acknowledged . . . being reciprocated by following back or liking another's fan page would have been a nice gesture.

Seeing as the contest required a certain social media presence to be considered instead of listening to the talent of each performer means each applicant must be active and put forth MUCH effort to gain and sustain their following. Word of mouth goes far in social media. Not pointing fingers but with the remaining time left to cast ballots it would be worthwhile to get active on each of the social sites, have genuine conversations/postings, and interact with those that are there. Once the personality comes through others will want to participate more and tell their friends to join in. It's hard to be social when there's limited to little conversation. I would guess judges are looking for a candidate that can create buzz and hold crowd attention PLUS has talent.

Just my two cents,

~Ruth

I want to thank everyone who participated in helping my niece, Janessa, try to win the chance for a recording deal in Los Angeles. She ended up #507 on the list and needed to be in the Top 90 to get a chance for the talent part. Unfortunately, at this stage of the contest, it was "who you know, not what you know" that got you a shot for a talent audition.

Side note: I actually did return the likes, follows, subscribes, etc. to everyone that posted from here (as long as your social media link worked). If you did not get a personal thank you from me, then I apologize. I though I got everyone. Unfortunately, Janessa is a full time college student and works 30+ hours a week, so it was really hard for her to spend time on building a social media collective in just 3 weeks.

So.... that was up to me and as we all know, I suck at social media. I was just hoping that me asking for help would have been enough. I do not think I have ever asked for anything here in the last 5 years. Usually I am freely giving of my time for computer questions/support and audio/video questions & support for people and on a 1-on-1 basis.

She was doomed from the 'get go' with me as her social media ambassador.

Thank you all for helping me and my quest to help my niece find her niche. I learned a lot about social media.