iassistyourbiz

Website account suspended

Hi all,

hope, you are well. Had a very busy time after the VAVS and only slowly getting back to normal.

Well, so I hoped, but then I've got the following email a few moments ago:

As you probably aware, here at Just Host we proactively monitor all our servers to ensure that our clients websites are loading as fast as possible at all times. During this routine monitoring wehave found that your account is utilizing an excessive amount of system resources, and we have been forced to suspend your site as per our terms and conditions.

For your reference, here is a copy of your usage report:

iassist2 iassistyour.biz

Top Process %CPU 40.0 /usr/bin/php /home/iassist2/public_html/index.php

Top Process %CPU 39.0 /usr/bin/php /home/iassist2/public_html/index.php

Top Process %CPU 25.0 /usr/bin/php /home/iassist2/public_html/index.php

%MEM 28.09

%MySQL 97.2

Just Host offer unlimited hosting space and unlimited bandwidth, but as per our terms we must protect other users on this server and had to deactivate your account. [...]

I have no idea what happened there, I cannot even access my wordpress dashboard to switch off my few plugins or to review the index.php

My site was very simple, I wasn't aware that I am using any other scripts than a couple of plugins (SEO ultimate, contact form7 (I think), Wordbooker, Find Me On and maybe 3 or 4 more).

I have no pictures or scripts brought in by myself aside from a jpg as wallpaper and a jpg as header.

I've called already their customer support and I've followed their procedure to send a reply back. Waiting for an answer on that now.

Further in their email they told me that they want me to switch to a dedicated server, which obviously would incur more costs. I am broke, I cannot afford my own food at the moment, let alone a change of webserver, so that is no option and I hope the entire mess could be solved with some technical changes.

So please, if anyone has an idea what could have caused this high usage, I would be ever so grateful for any hint.

A not so happy Andrea

PS: Thank you for letting me use my gmail-address in this forum, I am very glad that I've insisted on this when I've signed up here, as I did with all of my sign-ups/subscriptions. I wouldn't receive any emails at my biz-address now :´-(

After a night of emails back and forth to my provider

- I am lacking sleep

- I am now able to implement php-snippets into my wp-config.php

- I have no plugins running anymore

- I have now the choice of ugly sidebars or no sidebars at all, until I figure out, what caused the usage

- I am non the wiser, what actually caused the usage or how I can see if I am in danger of being suspended again

- I am very unhappy in general, that I have added trouble to my already existing troubles with wordpress

- I am slightly happy, that I at least got unsuspended and my site is - even in its very stripped down way - working again

- I still cannot understand how a few plugins, which are most commonly used, could cause this and why other wordpress sites seem not to have any issues, although they have a plenitude of plugins, videos, graphics, traffic, etc.

Now I have to figure these things out quickly and by my own, as I have no penny left to hand this entire mess over to someone who knows their stuff or could teach me how to do it better.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Right now I am no fan of wordpress! Or websites! Or being self-employed!

I cannot wait for tomorrow, then it is a new day and I have washed away today...

Andrea

ranting

out

You are so skilled in the tech stuff that you aren't going to like my suggestion. But, if you are truly without funds and beginning, I would suggest that you take your information over to a free CMS type site such as Wordpress.com or Blogger.com I prefer Wordpress.com for seo control, etc. but either would transport over to a new wordpress installation on your domain when you are ready using the export/import tools.

Then, try to get a new host. I've heard of other hosting services arbitrarily doing this as well. But, it has never happened to me.

Last year when I had some errors that were stopping work on my site, I had to upgrade but didn't have to take their first suggestions. At first it was an expensive dedicated server that was recommended. Then a little less and when I was going to give up an pay for that because I have people depending on me, I called to pay for it and the sales person said "You don't need that, you just need to upgrade to these faster servers which will cost you a couple bucks more a month."

Something sounds really "hinky" with your web host. I looked at their site and they immediately tried to sign me up. I had to find the navigation at the bottom to get more information and even that is not much. They advertise lots of unlimited stuff and they say they use dual quad core processors in their servers. In theory, you should not be running into any problems. But I have a feeling the stuff they post is very vague.

On the other hand, there have been WordPress plugins that can hog resources and spike server usage. Since a lot of the plugins are free and not really monitored by anybody that could be a problem. I would try enabling the plugins 1 at a time and run it for a few days. You might ask your web host how to monitor your usage and what their limits are before you get "banned". There should be something in the Cpanel to monitor this. I also assume that you are on a shared server and you are sharing resources with many others. I also see that your web host also offers a money back guarantee if you are dissatisfied. I would be dissatisfied if I were you.

There are many crappy web hosts out there, but there are many awesome ones also.

Something sounds really "hinky" with your web host. I looked at their site and they immediately tried to sign me up. I had to find the navigation at the bottom to get more information and even that is not much. They advertise lots of unlimited stuff and they say they use dual quad core processors in their servers. In theory, you should not be running into any problems. But I have a feeling the stuff they post is very vague.

On the other hand, there have been WordPress plugins that can hog resources and spike server usage. Since a lot of the plugins are free and not really monitored by anybody that could be a problem. I would try enabling the plugins 1 at a time and run it for a few days. You might ask your web host how to monitor your usage and what their limits are before you get "banned". There should be something in the Cpanel to monitor this. I also assume that you are on a shared server and you are sharing resources with many others. I also see that your web host also offers a money back guarantee if you are dissatisfied. I would be dissatisfied if I were you.

There are many crappy web hosts out there, but there are many awesome ones also.

I've been at the icy cold fresh air all afternoon and now I feel much more refreshed and relaxed.

I had a look at the logs and indeed I had a spike of 3GB (yes, G) on the 29th Nov. and my hits spiked from average 5000 to 280 000.

Two things happened at that day: I've installed a new plugin (highly recommended, a lot users, so I thought): Wordbooker. I did that because I thought I could use it instead of a fb-likebox and would gain more functionality.

Also I've approved a comment on my blog which I checked and thought it would be innocent enough. Now, I am really too honest and probably too naive so I don't really know (nor understand) how spammers work.

That comment had a non-existent website, it didn't exist with whois, and my comments require email, webaddress and name for being accepted.

So now I am not sure if this comment was indeed a spam or if the plugin caused this.

But I believe one of those were the reason and I don't blame the hoster to have taken measures when it was my own fault.

We have a saying in German:

"Stupidity / Ignorance is no excuse in law." - "Dummheit / Unwissenheit schützt vor Strafe nicht."

Therefore it is quite rightly my responsibility to not cause trouble.

I yet have to get a feeling for wordpress and feel not really comfortable with all the zillions of plugins which I don't understand how they work.

Afterall it was yet another experience which has shown me that I have to learn my stuff - quickly!

"Experience is something we don't get until after we need it." Steven Wright. thumbup.gif

The spammers are out in full force...must be the Christmas spirit. I am laughing out loud at the supposedly complimentary and contributory messages they are leaving.

You are so skilled in the tech stuff that you aren't going to like my suggestion. But, if you are truly without funds and beginning, I would suggest that you take your information over to a free CMS type site such as Wordpress.com or Blogger.com I prefer Wordpress.com for seo control, etc. but either would transport over to a new wordpress installation on your domain when you are ready using the export/import tools.

Then, try to get a new host. I've heard of other hosting services arbitrarily doing this as well. But, it has never happened to me.

Last year when I had some errors that were stopping work on my site, I had to upgrade but didn't have to take their first suggestions. At first it was an expensive dedicated server that was recommended. Then a little less and when I was going to give up an pay for that because I have people depending on me, I called to pay for it and the sales person said "You don't need that, you just need to upgrade to these faster servers which will cost you a couple bucks more a month."

Thanks for this.

But for the moment I rather stay calm and check out what really happened. My site is open/accessible again and the support of the provider was really helpful and explained me a couple of things (well, I am a person, who is not going without fight or at least a plausible explanation and usually after that I won't have to leave anything and get things back in order *G*).

As I said in my post above: the logs have shown spikes and exactly on a day when I made changes. I deleted the comment and switched off my plugins and will only activate the plugins which were active before the spike.

And then I will not touch any fancy plugins anymore until I have not really understood what the hell I am doing there.

So for the moment I stay put and don't move my stuff. Because you are right: I don't like it :-)