Sign in to follow this  
Cathy Drappier

First Client! And a question

I'm so excited! I got a call Thursday from a man who found my business card posted on a local info board and thought it looked professional. Anyways, he wants me to take an existing 177-page document and recreate it with his new business branding. We chatted for about half an hour when he called and then he e-mailed me this document. I did a couple of pages and then e-mailed him a screen shot of what I had finished up to that point. He said that it looked good and that I was on the right track. What I want to do is send him an e-mail with more views of what I've done, an estimate of how much longer I think this will take, and a contract. What do you guys think? Any other ideas I should think about?

Thanks!

Cathy

Cathy,

Because he has already said you're on the right track, I wouldn't send any more "samples" of your work. Determine how much time the project should take based on the pages you have already completed then get a signed contract and payment (or some up front money) before you continue. The difference between a contract and an estimate is significant. Clients prefer to hear "I will do x, y, z for $$$.00" NOT "this is what it might cost you" so be specific.

Yes Debbie is right. You have to be specific and upfront. Congratulations on your new client. :thumbup:

Sounds like you made a great start, Cathy!

Right now, I'm wondering what to do about a client who was supposed to have sent me a check by the end of last month for a new project, but didn't. We both communicate through Skype, so I left a brief message asking whether she'd forgotten. I'm not sure what to do because she was also bringing me another client whom she said was enthusiastic about the quote I had provided for something he needed help with.

Is there anything else I could do?

Sounds like you made a great start, Cathy!

Right now, I'm wondering what to do about a client who was supposed to have sent me a check by the end of last month for a new project, but didn't. We both communicate through Skype, so I left a brief message asking whether she'd forgotten. I'm not sure what to do because she was also bringing me another client whom she said was enthusiastic about the quote I had provided for something he needed help with.

Is there anything else I could do?

Debbie

Did you have a contract for this client who hasn't paid you? If you have not talked to this client yet, you need to talk with them and not leave messages. Project-based clients should at least pay 50% down and then pay the balance before you give them the final product. [if this is a long project, you may want to do 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3.] Just because a client may tell you that they are bringing you a potential client, doesn't mean that you should let them slide on their invoice.

I had a project-based client who I wasn't sure would pay me. I stuck to my contract which stated that before I gave them the final draft, that I would be paid in full. I then gave them one revision and gave them the final project. They kept asking me if they could pay the balance due in increments and give them the final draft before I was paid. Since I wasn't sure that I would get paid, I said no that I had to go by the terms of my contract.

I agree with Linda. Though it not just about not being able to trust your clients but being aware the possibilities of anything that may come. Besides, a contract serves as your shield of protection. Surely no one would want to put their efforts in any work into a waste and regret, right? So being able to prepare is a good advise for any virtual assistant or anyone who's into SEO.