Tawnya Sutherland

Ergonomic Keyboards

A week ago I bought an ergonomic keyboard and still struggling with it to feel at home with it.

My biggest challenge is that I must keep good posture to use it. I'm the type that sits with their legs all curled up under my butt while working.

Overall, I know this is a better option for a keyboard as it does make my posture better plus makes me well aware of typing errors (cause I'm making so many LOL)

What are your thoughts on ergonomic keyboards? Do you still have yours or have you tossed it yet? ;)

• Like 1

When I sold office supplies we asked customers to try it for two weeks to allow a new (habit) way of keying take roots. After that time passes, if it still feels awkward return it for a traditional keyboard. Many found after some 'getting used to it' time that they liked it.

Good for you for making the choice work healthier for your hands, wrists, and joints.

• Like 1

I have one for my desktop computer, and I really like it. It didn't take me long to get used to it -- now I find regular keyboards awkward, and make more typos using one. You do have to use good posture, and I think that's really a big benefit to it. Given how much we sit on our butts doing this kind of work, I figure anything that encourages me to be kinder to my body is a good thing!

I'm still fighting with the posture. Still find myself sitting oddly instead of properly but not giving up yet. This keyboard does make me aware of my poor posture which needs to be corrected ;)

I had one when I had a PC, didn't particularly care for it and ended up selling it. I don't fee like I really need to have one. I still have to think about my posture either way.

I have tendonitis in my right wrist, so I purchased an ergo split keyboard in 2008. I have never looked back. I absolutely LOVE split keyboards. My favorite is no longer made (Logitech) :angry: , so I will have to figure out a new brand when I wear this one out.

The biggest thing I found that fixed the shoulder pain I was also having was to buy an ergo mouse. There are several varieties to choose from. I ended choosing a Logitech Trackman that puts my wrist at an angle instead of flat. I "mouse" with my middle and ring finger and click with my thumb. It has some other buttons, too, but those are what I use the most often. It also has a scrolling wheel on it that I use all.the.time. I noticed IMMEDIATELY that my shoulder felt better and the $$ I saved in chiropractor visits for my pinched shoulder nerve more than made up for the cost of the mouse. :D

An update on my new ergonomic keyboard. I'm starting to type more accurately even LOL! So far I like it but when my computer crashed last week and I had to go back to an old keyboard, I really noticed the difference. Talk about typos too!!!

I have an old trackball logitech mouse and not sure if it is ergonomic-wise or not but I like it better as I don't have to move my wrist around at all.

So, in a nutshell, I'm adjusting to my new keyboard and think it can only benefit my body with the long hours in front of the computer :)

Guest MelissaG

I tried using one before. I just can't do it. Most people don't use them. My problem was using it at home was great, but since hardly anyone else uses them, it makes uses the standard keyboard everywhere else very difficult. I guess you could call it finger memory. My fingers remember where to type. Going from one means my fingers don't have a memory of where the buttons are and my typing slows down from its typical 80-120 wpm to maybe 20 wpm because I have to hunt and peck the keys.

I find it very aggravating.

Guest Kremer VAS

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to chime in on the ergonomic keyboards. I love them. I refuse to do a lot typing on a regular keyboard including laptop. I could not live without mine.

Hope

I have adjusted to mine but I don't think I do enough typing anyhow to justify having one. My typing isn't for long periods of time and I think if you did that then it would be a good investment. But just for sporadic typing here and there, I find it hard to adjust and when I have to switch to my other keyboards, I'm a brand new typo queeen. My guess is when this keyboard goes on the fritz I'll just get a normal one. Either that or switch all three of my keyboards to ergonomic ;)

I am 54 years old and work in an office environment, have been for the past 27 years. Over this time, I have seen a number of ergonomic products hit the market, although most of them are not as productive as they are marketed to be.

About five years ago I started to notice tension and strain build up in both of my hands, knuckles, and wrists.

Having tried a number of ergonomic keyboards, does anyone have any advice around who is the best brand that makes or offers these things?

I used to buy everything from Dell, but then switched to Best Buy when I moved on to MACs. I am not impressed with their prices and am stuck between Staples, OfficeMax, and Amazon.

Does anyone have experience with these companies? Can you tell me who has the best product vs. the best prices?

If this works out well, I'll probably end up getting an ergonomic desk, chair, and mouse from them, too.

• Like 1

I usually buy everything from Best Buy or Amazon. Logitech sells a good ergonomic keyboard as does Microsoft. If you really want to save money and want to buy online what I do is buy through my ebates link as this usually gives me a further cashback of 3-7% when I buy online. You can join ebates for free and here is Canadian ebates and US ebates. I am member of both.

I don't buy from specific stores every time. I look online for the best price. I have a macbook pro and have been having wrist problems again this past week so I went on the hunt this to upgrade my workstation.

I ordered the magic trackpad. It's very expensive, $129 US but after reading about it I decided it was the best option for the mac and my wrist. It's the same price anywhere because it's a Mac product. But if you use ebates at BestBuy you can get some cash back. You might also be able to find another store that has higher cash back, cause BestBuy cashback is usually low.

I also ordered a refurbished mac keyboard from MacSales.com. I've ordered parts for my Mac from them before and it seems they are reliable. I will let you know what I think of my keyboard, it arrives on Monday and I just ordered it Thursday. :)

The best thing to do is to also buy pads for your wrists. So I ordered a memory foam pad to use with my keyboard and trackpad from Amazon.

If your wrists and hands are sore I would also suggest getting a wrist brace from Walmart or some other store as it will help.

• Like 2

Microsoft has a good line of ergonomic keyboards. I've been using one now for the last 6 months and I do feel the difference! I bought that one from Staples. I'm not sure though if they carry keyboards for Mac, but they defintely have a good collection of ergonomic keyboards.

• Like 1