ShannonP

Who pays for Quickbooks, you or client?

Hello! I have spent several hours today researching on the forums, but I haven't yet found anyone ask my specific question. I am experienced with using QuickBooks for my own business. I would like to offer my skills to my clients to do their invoicing for them to THEIR clients. My question is, who pays for the copy of QuickBooks used to invoice their clients? Me or my clients?

I currently use the free 2010 version for my own business because it does everything I need it to do. But, if I am doing invoicing for my clients to their clients, I may need more than the free version.

Thank you very much!

Shannon P

If they use it for other bookkeeping aspects, then use their version. If they don't have a version, you might want to invest in it and roll the cost into your business costs.

Hmmm... well, how are you going to provide it? What does the client currently use? We use a hosted solution. I purchased my copies of QuickBooks, the client theirs if they want to be able to use the file on their desktop. If you're passing the file back and forth (dropbox works well for this) then you def have to have your own versions. If they are using Quickbooks Online, they pay for it and my seat (or they use their free accountant one for me).

Stop using the free version. Get the Accountant's Edition if you are truly serious. Gives you a lot of control. At least get Pro.

Thank you for your responses, Ruth, Dana, and Candy!

I currently do not have any VA clients, just transcription clients. After I did my intro post, I spent a lot of time reading Monday and yesterday and I now see that VAs do far more than what I pictured. I certainly don't feel prepared to do ALL of the things VAs can do and I can see that I have a LOT to learn. :D

Thank you for your responses, Ruth, Dana, and Candy!

I currently do not have any VA clients, just transcription clients. After I did my intro post, I spent a lot of time reading Monday and yesterday and I now see that VAs do far more than what I pictured. I certainly don't feel prepared to do ALL of the things VAs can do and I can see that I have a LOT to learn. :D

There's opinions for and against generalizing or specializing and what it boils down to is this: Its up to YOU! This is YOUR business. YOU can design it any way that suits YOU. There is no formula other than, "This is what works for me." Candy is the Bookkeeping Diva. Me, I do project management for CEOs and start ups and I also do real estate support. I started out life as a legal assistant, but really don't want to work with attorneys.

And FYI: I consider every day a learning experience!

My point is unless it's absolutely necessary for you to fund a software or monthly service subscription pass on picking up these expenses. No need to fund the client's business. Make your money work for you.

Too often I hear VAs talk about carrying a service subscription fee for a client [they may invoice for this but why even put yourself in the middle] and then talk of cash flow crunches or the client leaves their services and they have the mess to clean up and/or separate. This may not be applicable to this specific situation but think before offering to pay for a single-use client based software or subscription and ask yourself if this expense really needs to be made by you...or the client?

~Ruth

Let me elaborate on Dana's post a little bit. Generalizing is all fine and good and several VA's are happy doing that but I tried to generalize and I tried to do everything and anything but to be honest with you, I really didn't know what "real" services I was offering. Sure I could do spreadsheets, I could do letters, I could do invoicing etc but those are all such broad subjects that it's hard to really know what you can do. When people would ask me what I do, I would tell them quite simply everything administrative but once again that was really broad of a subject.

I see that you do transcription work. There are several VA's that do transcription and if that is something that you feel comfortable with and that you enjoy then make that your primary focus. Once you build up clients, then you can ask them if there is any other duties that they need help with or just listen to them when they discuss their business with you. You would be surprised at what kind of information you can get just by listening. As an example, let's say you have a transcription client and they are late getting you the information that you need and they tell you that they have just been so busy with other aspects with their business that they haven't had time to get the info to you. That's your in! Ask them what tasks they have been working on that has been taking up so much time and once they tell you about it, if it's something you can do then say hey, I can take that off your hands for you. They may not take you up right then but they may think about it and decide that it would be nice to delegate more work to you. Chances are when a person is looking for a virtual assistant they are looking for a particular service and if you say I create spreadsheets and they are looking for somebody who can take all of their contacts and organize them into a spreadsheet they are going to overlook you and they are going to find somebody who specifically says that they create that type of spreadsheet. Somebody once told me that the less potential clients have to think, the better. They need hand holding.

Whatever you do, make sure that the services that you are going to offer you know how to explain what they are and you know how to actually do them.

I hope this all makes sense and I'm sorry the post was so long.

Tracy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to Become a VA?
    Invest in The VAC!
    How Do YOU Startup A

Virtual Assistant Organization Association
    Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
    * Access to Our Bus JOB Board *
    * Group Coaching & Training*
    *Training Tracks*
    * Private Mastermind Area *
    * Business Templates *
    * Contracts & Forms*
    * Plus VAinsider Perks! *
    UPGRADE HERE

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.