SCENARIO:

Signed with client in January after I was recommended to her by another VA. Client paid a hefty deposit for the work that she said she would need based on her anticipations. Fast-forward three weeks, she's "dissatisfied", but won't go into any detail, even when I asked what she was dissatisfied with. She blazed through the deposit and racked up a bill that I was going to be sending to her the following week. So I sent her the bill with a wrap up email.

Two days later she wanted me to itemize in detail my bill. My bill was not itemized, but it wasn't lacking in detail, either. Any normal person would read, "Answered emails from account _________" and the hours. I even cut some off to make it more digestible for her.

Next thing I know, PayPal sends me a notice of dispute. She wanted her deposit back. After four emails back and forth with PayPal, my providing the signed contract that said she was to give 30 days notice of dissolution of the Contractors Agreement AND a written statement from my friend/recommending VA (who went through something like this with her, too and didn't back down) - I got my money back.

Its a very good day!!

Now, part of me wants to sue her in small claims court for the outstanding balance, but my husband and others who know all the gory details say leave it alone 'cuz Karma'll get her in the end.

The moral of this story: Stick to your guns, don't back down, you're worth what you're worth and make you Agreements IRON CLAD so that when some client goes whackadoodle on you (and they will) - you'll have a leg to stand on.

Hi Dana!

I'm glad to hear the story had a 'happy' ending. I was expecting something else as soon as I saw "Paypal". There are so many horror stories of Paypal 'siding' with the buyer/client regardless of the information/documentation we have to back us up. I'm glad that wasn't the case for you. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations! Yes, great reminder to have effective agreements and to stick to your guns. I would also add that it's a good reminder not to ignore those 'intuitive nudges' that we can sometimes get that tell us a prospect may not be the best fit.

I agree - karma will get her in the end!

~Donna

Congrats! Not sure I have ever heard of anyone winning paypal!

Kathy Colaiacovo, Social Media Consultant
<a href="http://www.timeontaskva.com" target="_blank">Time on Task VA Services</a> ~ <a href="http://www.socialmediatraining4biz.com" target="_blank">Social Media 4 Business Training</a>
<a href="http://www.mysocialmediava.com/blog" target="_blank">Social Media Tips</a> ~ <a href="http://www.talkingontwitter.com" target="_blank">Learn to use Twitter</a>

QUESTION : What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?
ANSWER : They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!
It's FREE : It's FUN : And you'll get something DONE : <a href="http://www.VAnetworking.com/downloads/VAkickstart.pdf" target="_blank">Download yours now.</a>

More good news on this:

PayPal called me last week to inform me that I am the 7th virtual assistant she's done this to, and they have revoked her "Business Preferred" status. Call me small, but that's the kind of kick in the butt that Karma delivers and let's you be around to see.

Dana

I am so glad that PayPal sided with you! Of course, you had all the paperwork to back it up (or should I say "legal" knowledge?).

Dana, glad to hear your happy ending with Paypal. If you recall my experience where I lost over $6,000 in fees that were charged back via Paypal. I even sued in Small Claims Court, won my case, yet Paypal still never gave me my money back.

vainsiders.jpg

Wow! This was definitely worth reading. It's a shame that some people who call themselves professionals carry on like this. This lets me know to be sure to do reference checks on my new clients as well!

Thank You,

Kim Harris