Sign in to follow this  

Importing/exporting Quickbooks and excel

I have a potential first client, he has been with me throughout my entire time of being a virtual assistant and now that I am specializing in bookkeeping he has asked me to do his bookkeeping. I mentioned LogMeIn to him and I mentioned entering it on my computer and then sending the file back to him but he is actually using QB 2006. He told me that I could enter into a Workbook and send it to him so I am assuming he means exporting it into Excel and then he would import it into his QB but can this be done since he is using 2006 and I have 2009 (for now), what issues may arise from this? Also, he said he has about 18 months worth of backlog so do you recommend I just charge him my normal rates? I charge $XXX for 10 hours/months $xxx for 20 hours/month etc especially since I am not 100% sure how long the backlog will take me?

I await your input before I respond to him.

Tracy

The import thing you won't work well.

I would either convert him to QuickBooks Online or use a hosting service such as CloudAspects. It will save you the "who has the file".

If you are going to specialize in bookkeeping, you really need to keep current with the software, in my opinion. At least every other year. I keep all years for the past 5-6 years, BUT I generally get clients to upgrade to something more current.

As far as how long it will take, without knowing how many transactions, etc... it's hard to guess. Since you're very new at this, I would do it hourly. I generally figure $1-$4 per transaction, depending on the difficulty of the client and what they do (construction is a lot more involved than say, a coach)

I totally agree that I need to keep current and that is why the next thing on my list is to purchase the newest version of Quickbooks. I knew that I wouldn't be getting clients right away and that it takes awhile to have a presence my first step was a website and my next step is to purchase Quickbooks upgrade.

I asked him to clarify what he wants me to do with the QBs files and he told me that QBs automatically saves a file and I could send that to him. I did tell him that I know QBs automatically saves a file but since he is using 2006 that it wouldn't work because QBs is not backwards compatible. I have him leaning towards upgrading or hosting.

I don't like the back and forth thing either but I will be allowing him to be the exception to the rule for now simply because we have such a long history. Any clients after him it will be either QB hosting or remote access.

Thanks for the input,

Tracy

Tracy

I offer bookkeeping services to some of my clients and I use QuickBooks. I did have one client who had an older version of QuickBooks (pre-2008) but I explained to them that they needed to upgrade to a newer version. I also have the Accountants version, so I can work on older versions without having QuickBooks upgrade the older version to the newer version.

So far all of my clients are using 2011 or newer in QuickBooks. For one client, I use Logmein to access their computer. The down side to this is that I am unable to work in QuickBooks if they are using their computer. Another one I use an online server, like Candy mentioned above, and while it is slower than what I am used to, both me and my client can access his books at the same time (not the same record). Another client gives me a backup of her books and I put it into my copy (not the most efficient) but it works. Then another client just has me keep all of her books in QuickBooks, she uses a Point of Sale software package (not an Intuit product) that tracks her retail sales. She also doesn't like doing any of the bookkeeping so that works for her.

Also I let my clients know that they do not have to upgrade their QuickBooks each year. Every other year is acceptable and I have even waited three years because I wanted the features of the newer version that was coming out.