Guest Julie Moore

New Client background checks

Guest Julie Moore

Have any of you ever had a client that wanted to do a background check on you before your business relationship began? If so, how did you handle it?

Hi Julie!

No, I can't say that that has ever come up for me, personally. And while my first inclination is to say, "no way!", I'm curious what services you're providing, if there may be a reason that this person feels it necessary to have a background check performed based on that. I'm not sure what services would make it "okay", but curious what you offer. Most times, however, I wouldn't see a need for it, and would think this person has an "employer" mindset. He's not thinking of the business relationship as an 'equal' one. And the business relationship that's beginning certainly isn't one that's based on trust if this is what he's asking for before you even begin working together. If it were me, I would say "no".

~Donna

Guest Julie Moore

I haven't been asked for one. I actually haven't gotten clients yet. I am very new and was just curious. Although, at one VA job board I was on before, a company required one and wanted ME to pay for it!

I declined.

~~Julie

That's odd, never heard that one before; but like Donna asked, what kinds of services are you offering? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

*Nevermind I just realized that you said it wasn't about you.

In some cases, I can see where a client would want to have a background check BUT - if they (the client) wants it, THEY should pay for it. I had to go through one with a long-time client when his company got awarded a Federal contract and everyone needed to be background checked. He was so apologetic about it and it turned out to be no big deal anyway - they ran a credit report, criminal background and an investigator came and asked me questions for about 10 minutes and that was it.

I can see where this would be common if you're dealing with:

* large sums of money or investments - however, if you're doing that, then you're a Financial Planning Assistant, and probably have gone through the certification with NAPFA

* personal information that could effectively change someone's criminal or credit backgrounds

* anything involving Defense, Homeland Security or any of those federal agencies

I'm probably missing something, but those are the big 3 I can think of.

In almost 6 years in business, I've only been asked for a background check the one time, and I would be leery of any potential client wanting YOU to pay for your own background check. That makes me want to tell you, "RUN! RUN FAR FAR AWAY!!"

Julie

I have to agree with what Dana said. If they want to do a background check on you, then they are responsible for paying for it. They may also want you to sign something like a release in order to perform the background check.