Deborah02

Newbie Starting a Website--Need Advice!! Help!

Hi everyone,

I haven't started building my website yet and wanted to know if wordpress.org would be the best place to start. I'm not very technically minded so I don't want it to be too complicated. The only website I have built was through Storesonline for a partnership my mother and I have: The Homeschoolers Clubhouse If you want to see what I have previously done, please take a look. I welcome your critism! I just need a direction of where to start. Thank you! :rolleyes:

Yes I would recommend Wordpress. It's more SEO friendly and you can find some very themes online to use. I prefer iThemes but I would recommend googling wordpress themes and taking a look at them.

I haven't used WordPress myself, so I don't know how it would compare, but my website is hosted through Host Gator. I used one of their free templates to get me started, although I am ready now to do a little more sophisticated work on my site. I have been with Host Gator for nearly two years and I have been very happy with them so far. I found their templates easy to use. But, as I said, I haven't tried WordPress to know if WordPress would be easier or not. If you decide to give Host Gator a try, do a Google search for coupons, they are almost always running a promo of some sort to try it for really cheap. I pay $9.95/month for my plan.

Wordpress is a good choice. For my clients (non-profits and educators) with limited budgets, I now recommend Weebly.com. The design tools are simple and hosting and a domain name are free with the basic version.

I honestly planned on starting up with Wordpress but when I downloaded it, I hated it. But I am a do it yourselfer that has to customize every button and toolbar. I know other people that have used Weebly and liked it. I think Vistaprint has a business website builder too.

Wordpress.ORG is definitely a good choice. But even if you chose to use simple HTML - you absolutely need to have your business web site on your own hosting. Third party platforms, such and Wordpress.COM, Blogger, etc.... can and WILL shut down your site whenever they choose to.

You need to have control over your site and its content, with the ability to make regular backups of your data so if anything happens, you can restore your site quickly. Believe me - this is vital to your business!

I honestly planned on starting up with Wordpress but when I downloaded it, I hated it. But I am a do it yourselfer that has to customize every button and toolbar. I know other people that have used Weebly and liked it. I think Vistaprint has a business website builder too.

When I first looked at Wordpress, I hated it too but I found an excellent template that's a breeze to work with.

Expand2Web's SmallBiz template has a free version in the WP templates that I started with and as I got more proficient, I purchased the full blown version. This template is more business driven than blog driven like most WP templates. I use Bluehost for my hosting.

If you'd like to look at my web page, message me and I'll send you a link.

Jenny

Guest Denise O'Berry

I'm with Tracey. A hosted site is the only way to go. Your website is a huge business asset and YOU should own it. Wordpress is simply one of the easiest platforms to use for a site. There is a bit of a learning curve at first, but most people adapt quickly.

Wordpress is a good place to start with. You may personalize your site for ti to become unique and evoke your target consumers. Good luck ;)