Susan Hardy

Freshbooks vs. Quickbooks

I'm using Freshbooks because they offer a free account for up to 3 clients and Quickbooks doesn't. I just didn't think it was economical to begin paying for Quickbooks without a single paying client. When you start a business you already have expenses and I wanted to start keeping track of my expenses so that's what I used it for when I first signed up. Now I'm up to 3 clients so once I sign the fourth I will have to start paying a monthly fee which is about $20 per month I believe.

Quickbooks is free for 30 days and then it's $12.95 per month. So it is cheaper than Freshbooks but if you have no paying clients, then I would say go with Freshbooks because then you're just losing money every month and have no money coming in.

Thanks for the tip, Paulette! I know what you mean about all of the startup expenses, I certainly don't need to add another one right now. :) And I've been reading good reviews of Freshbooks online, as well.

Susan

No, Freshbooks and QuickBooks are not the same. Freshbooks can handle some of what you need, but depending on what you want to track for your business I think that QuickBooks Pro is better than Freshbooks. Then again I want to track more than what Freshbooks offers.

I use Freshbooks for one of my clients (he has over 200 customers) and it doesn't have the features that QuickBooks has. Do not use QuickBooks online or QuickStart. Candy Beauchamp will probably back me up on this one. For less than $150.00 you can get QuickBooks Pro 2012 on Amazon. Not only that you do not have to upgrade every year. Look at the features of the upgrade and then determine whether or not you need them. Everything financial relating to my business is in QuickBooks. I have been using QuickBooks since before 2000 and for me it is worth the money.

Susan

No, Freshbooks and QuickBooks are not the same. Freshbooks can handle some of what you need, but depending on what you want to track for your business I think that QuickBooks Pro is better than Freshbooks. Then again I want to track more than what Freshbooks offers.

I use Freshbooks for one of my clients (he has over 200 customers) and it doesn't have the features that QuickBooks has. Do not use QuickBooks online or QuickStart. Candy Beauchamp will probably back me up on this one. For less than $150.00 you can get QuickBooks Pro 2012 on Amazon. Not only that you do not have to upgrade every year. Look at the features of the upgrade and then determine whether or not you need them. Everything financial relating to my business is in QuickBooks. I have been using QuickBooks since before 2000 and for me it is worth the money.

Hi Linda, thank you for the advice. I am still in my 30 day trial of Freshbooks so if I decide to go with Quickbooks Pro, I haven't lost any money. One thing I like about Freshbooks is that it integrates with my merchant account with Authorize.net. I can email an invoice and it provides a link where the person can pay online with a credit card, without me having to set up eCommerce or SSL or anything like that on my website. Do you have any idea if Quickbooks Pro offers the same functionality?

Also I have a first appointment with my accountant on Monday and will ask for their feedback on this matter.

Susan

Hi Linda, thank you for the advice. I am still in my 30 day trial of Freshbooks so if I decide to go with Quickbooks Pro, I haven't lost any money. One thing I like about Freshbooks is that it integrates with my merchant account with Authorize.net. I can email an invoice and it provides a link where the person can pay online with a credit card, without me having to set up eCommerce or SSL or anything like that on my website. Do you have any idea if Quickbooks Pro offers the same functionality?

Also I have a first appointment with my accountant on Monday and will ask for their feedback on this matter.

Susan

Yes, you can accept online payments through QuickBooks. You have the option to have the link on the invoice you send or not. You can accept it over the phone as well. Your accountant should be able to show you how to set that up within QuickBooks. It's not that difficult.

Thanks again Linda. :)

The accountant also recommended Quickbooks Pro 2012, and at a price of $133 on Amazon.com it's hard to beat.

I ordered a copy of it today.

Edited by Susan Hardy