Sign in to follow this  
Jerri G

WordPress Upgrade

I am so new to this. I have to WP sites and received an e-mail stating that I should upgrade to the newer version. It says that I have to back up my site or I will lose data and images. I do have backupbuddy on my one site but nothing on my other site. I know I need to add the backup buddy to my one site. My question is How do I back up my whole site? Does the backup buddy do it or do I have to do it manually and the e-mail said I should download the newer version manually,HELP! :wacko:

Jerri,

There is an option in Backup Buddy to with run a Full Site Backup or Database Only. Simply choose the Full Site and you will be good to go. As a rule of thumb I backup my database whenever I make changes and do a full backup once a month or if i make major changes.

As for the new version of WP, you should be able to update that from your WP Admin dashboard. This is the latest version with fixes so it should not cause issues however it is always best to backup before any upgrade. Also, be sure to update your plugins too.

Best to you,

Lee

You are not going to lose your images and files because you installed a newer version of Wordpress. They tell you that just in case, but I've never seen that happen and I work with multiple sites in Wordpress.

You should schedule your site backups in backup buddy. For example, you can schedule it to do a full back up every month or just a database back up every couple of weeks. Here is a tutorial for you: http://pluginbuddy.com/tutorials/backupbuddy/

I use a backup plugin that sends me a backup via email once a week. If i"m making major changes, such as themes, I will also export the file, especially for websites or blogs that have a lot of material.

The auto-update option at your wordpress site or blog works so well that I never do it manually any more. The newer versions also let us upload zip files for plugins and themes that mean I don't have to 'publish' or ftp anything. That is really nice.

Enjoy your WordPress, it is wonderful.

Jerri,

Since you are using Backup Buddy you can send your regular backups to Dropbox or Amazon S3. I send all if mine and my clients to my S3 account and have yet to pay any storage fees. You set it up once and link the backup so it is super simple to do.

Lee