Sign in to follow this  

When is time tracking software necessary for VA's, if it is?

Hello. My VA business is not operational yet, but when it is, I'm wondering how necessary time tracking software will be. Is it more beneficial for me or my "client" or both. Is it even necessary at all?

I appreciate your insights!!

Dee Bjelke

Dee,

Yes it is essential, especially if you are billing hourly. Using a time tracker just makes everything neat and tidy.

Lee

I agree, if you are billing hourly you need some kind of time tracker. Even if you are not, it is good to know how long it takes you to do certain tasks for your own information and so you can plan your schedule.

Oh yes, you most definitely need time tracking software, which should be combined with an invoicing program. I use Freshbooks. It's free for up to 3 clients then there's a monthly fee, but it includes a time tracking feature which I use all the time.

Thank you ladies. I have been researching time tracking software with the intent of using it, so now I know I must. Does Freshbooks work with Quickbooks?

Thanks again.

Dee Bjelke

I was using FreshBooks and QuickBooks SimpleStart 2009 when I first opened my business. The two programs do not talk to each other. I used FreshBooks for time tracking and QuickBooks for invoicing and ledgers. I had to paste the hours from one into the other. I finally upgraded to QuickBooks 2012 which does have time tracking and is much simpler.

I was wondering for you seasoned VAs...What is your favorite time tracking software?

The only one I've found that doesn't make me completely insane is Toggl. I can't even remember all the names of tracking programs I've tried to use, and ended up just doing a simple Excel spreadsheet beause its just easier for me. I was on a team recently and they used Toggle, and it didn't make me want to throw the computer through a window.

As much as possible, I do packages and flat rates for services so I don't have to deal with tracking my time.

• Like 1