As a fellow multi-VA company owner, I am always interested to hear how others have their businesses setup. :)

I would love to hear more about your multi-VA business:

• How many VA's are on your team?
  • Are all of the VA's on your team "contractor laborers" or are they official employees?
  • Do you work from a home office; or do you rent office space?
  • If you rent office space, do any of the VA's on your team work in the office with you?
  • How do you pay your VA's: so much per job, so much per hour, so much per week or ?? (you don't need to give specific amounts, just how your pay structure is setup)
  • How do you find new clients (aside from the VANetworking RFD of course!)?
  • How do you divide up your client work among your VA's? By skill, next available or ??
  • Do you use a production schedule to manage incoming work, a project management system, ticket system or ??

Anything else you'd like to share - I'd love to hear it. I know this thread will help many VA's who either already have a multi-VA business, or those considering it.

Thanks!

Traci

I've looked at every multi VA model there is out there, and I'm not in that mode, nor do I wish to ever be in one. I've tried it on the sub-contractor's side and I'm just not cut out for being on a team. Its probably control issues on my part, or the fact that I was treated most recently like I was really stupid - and that burned me on the whole thing (that, and not being paid for my work).

In looking at these different styles, it seems the one that would work best for me, if I were so inclined, would be to have top-level VAs working with me, doing the work with the clients directly, and I act as project manager/mission control. THAT'S what I like - having my hand in overall and making sure all the plates are spinning, wheels are turning (pick your cliche). and I'm GOOD at that. However, fortunately or unfortunately - however you want to look at it, I would prefer to do it with my own clients and not as part of a team of VAs or something.

There are approximately 12 of us, including my tech dude husband and two that do admin work directly for me and clients.

Myself and one employee, the rest are 1099.

I work from a home office as do the rest of them. I have NO inclination at this time to deal with an office.

I pay them hourly with the exception of myself and one employee who is salaried. A few also have straight-$ deals for certain aspects.

Networking, word of mouth and a few cold calls from my website.

We currently use Manymoon, but are looking to change. Looks like Teamwork PM might be right for us. We also currently use MyHours.

Here's my answers in bold:

I would love to hear more about your multi-VA business:

• How many VA's are on your team? I have one full time VA (Danielle my daughter), then about 10 subcontractors who are everything from VAs to programmers.
  • Are all of the VA's on your team "contractor laborers" or are they official employees? Mine are all subcontractors working as their own business
  • Do you work from a home office; or do you rent office space? Work from home
  • If you rent office space, do any of the VA's on your team work in the office with you? n/a
  • How do you pay your VA's: so much per job, so much per hour, so much per week or ?? (you don't need to give specific amounts, just how your pay structure is setup). By the hour and project based
  • How do you find new clients (aside from the VANetworking RFD of course!)? Most of mine come through word of mouth or my website traffic
  • How do you divide up your client work among your VA's? By skill, next available or ?? Usually skill first and of course, if they are available.
  • Do you use a production schedule to manage incoming work, a project management system, ticket system or ?? Google Docs

Anything else you'd like to share - I'd love to hear it. I know this thread will help many VA's who either already have a multi-VA business, or those considering it.

Outsourcing is hard to learn to do at first but overtime it does get easier. It has its ups and downs like anything in business. You live, you learn ;)