Candy Beauchamp

Intuit releases QuickBooks "Bookkeeper" edition

Re: http://www.sleeter.com/blog/2012/06/quickbooks-professional-bookkeeper-2012/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+QuickBooksAndBeyond+%28QuickBooks+and+Beyond%29#.T-XnDfUvuP9

I was reading this article at Sleeter. I must agree with them. I'm not sure I see the point. If you are going to use those functions with the "Bookkeeper" edition, you would want to spend the $100 bucks and get the full premier accountant edition. Especially for the report writer since reports are what bookkeepers do a lot of these days.

Kind of an odd move by Intuit. Not really sure what the deal is there, but thought I'd share. Make sure you scroll down to the bottom to see the differences. Weird.

I just have Quickbooks Pro 2010 but not looking to price of having to upgrade to Pro 2012. UGH. Seems they are forever coming out with a new version and too bad we had to buy it completely each and every time. You'd think they would give us a discounted upgrade rate or something. But it is a necessity like water, I have to do my books ;)

Candy

I'm surprised that they didn't also do a comparison to QuickBooks Premier or Accountant edition. I have one client who uses QuickBooks Pro and I have two other clients that use QuickBooks Premier, I keep forgetting that Premier has more options than Pro. Since he purchased QuickBooks Pro before he became a client, I will wait at least two years before I talk to him about upgrading to Premier. I usually upgrade at least every two years and get the Accountant version, that way I can access each lower version of QuickBooks without having my client's upgrade until they need to do so.

Traci

If you are using QuickBooks online for your personal business, then it's probably okay. The online version of QuickBooks is not as robust as the desktop versions, so I never recommend them. I access my client's versions of QuickBooks ,as well, so they can work in their versions at the same time that I am working in them. Of course, we can't be accessing the exact same estimate, invoice, etc.

My biggest problem with QB Online is the reporting and the fact that we cannot have more than one window open. It's a bookkeepers worse nightmare, in my opinion. Plus it's just clunky. I've been looking into options like Kashoo and Xero lately for those folks that really want an online solution... neither have the options that QB has, but....