Sign in to follow this  
LindaH

About Your Moderator

A bit about myself

Born in West Virginia and when I was five my family moved to Virginia. Most of my family vacations were trips back to the farm where I learned how to cook on a wood cookstove and experienced the “50 yard dash” first hand to the bathroom (it was an outhouse). Why I enjoyed my summers on the farm where we worked from sun up to sun down, seven days a week, can only be attributed to the fact that I am an introvert. There was no indoor plumbing, electricity was only used for refrigerator, deep freeze, lights anything else was “extravagant” according to Mama (my grandmother). There were two stoves to heat the house when it was cold, one in the kitchen (the cookstove) and one in the living room. Feed sack bags were actually used to make clothes and old clothes were re-made into quilts. If anything could be re-used or re-purposed it was. I learned how to shoot a shotgun, rifle and reload shotgun shells and bullets. I also used to do all the work on my car (back before technology made it way more complicated), change spark plugs, set timing, change oil, flush radiator, etc. Although I will still change a tire myself if it goes flat.

This probably will help to explain why I grew up knowing how to cook from scratch (no boxes or “just add water”) and still do (when I cook). I love craft projects which my daughters benefited from when they were younger. I spent a lot of my “free time” over the years volunteering at church, nursery school, elementary school, swim team, etc. I know how to sew and at one point a friend and I could have worn signs saying “whoever has to most fabric when they die, wins”. Yeah, the sewing slowed down after the girls were born, I had scissors that could actually cut down to the bone if they were used on your body. Still do, but only I know where they are and the girls are both over twenty. I should also mention that I have been married to a wonderful guy, Randy, for over 31 years.

I began my business almost two years ago when the last company that I worked with and I parted ways. In reviewing what I had done over the years, I realized that the positions/jobs had just “fell into my lap” so to speak. I really didn’t have to look for them, most just appeared through circumstance. After research and writing my business plan, I created the business model for my business. I took classes, attended webinars, workshops, etc., in order to learn all I could about having a successful business. I am specific in who I want to work with and have probably persuaded more business owners to find someone else or take another route, as opposed to being one of my clients. I have been called the “picky VA” because of that. While my husband would have probably preferred me to accept everyone as a client, that wasn’t my business model and I “stuck to my guns”. Today I have clients that I enjoy working with and that keep me challenged. Yes, I have to keep up with technology and what’s out there, but I don’t have to learn everything either. I help them find ways to streamline their business and set up processes and procedures to help their business grow. While I do handle their “back admin office” they also know that when their business needs to have someone on a more regular basis that there will be a smoother transition for the “new person”.

I enjoy helping my clients find ways to streamline their business systems and handle some of their routine (and not so, routine paperwork). I create work orders, draft proposals, create invoices, follow up with past due accounts, design forms (MS Publisher into Adobe Acrobat Pro X), draft employee handbooks, take an “ideal system” outlined on paper (from an idea) and make it a workable system that they can begin to implement in their business, create forms/templates, written procedures/systems, etc. I use a variety of software programs, depending on the needs of my clients.

I also assist Tawnya with her webinars –from hosting, moderating, recording, editing in Camtasia and delivering the final product to Tawnya so she can upload it online.

I am still learning, attending webinars, workshops, networking and getting myself in front of my target market. For an introvert, it is challenging to say the least, but I love what I do and enjoy “going to work” even if it’s only a short walk to the office from anywhere in the house.

Yes, I do have a website, http://www.harrisadmin.com, that I am in the process of re-vamping (okay, it’s a constant re-vamping). You can follow me on Twitter - @timeinyourday and on LinkedIn – lindajkharris. If you want to connect on LinkedIn, please put in the message that you “saw me” at VAnetworking.

Linda has been with us for awhile now and has helped me on a few VAvirtuosos.com now and almost every other webinar I put on. She is a doll and love ya...Thanks Linda for sharing your extra time helping us out! :)))

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Tawnya

Thanks for the nice comments. I enjoy working with you and have learned so much. Love ya back! One of these days I'll actually get to meet you "in person".

I'm glad to learn a bit more about you Linda. Always hearing your voice on the VAJot and webinar sessions...it's nice to feel like we've met at the water cooler. :)