There's been some conversations both here on the forum, and within our LinkedIn group about a one-stop multi-VA shop that offers a wide variety of services to clients.

For those of you who have multi-VA businesses, do you consider yourself a "one-stop shop" offering a wide variety of services?

If so, what are the services you offer?

Are your VA's all subcontrators and you pay them their going sub-contractor rates; or do you have another payment agreement?

If you do not consider yourself a one-stop VA shop; would you consider partnering with someone to be part of such an organization?

If so, would you want to still have your own business and clients?

Or, would you be fine with being a full-time contract VA with this multi-VA one-stop shop?

Yes, I have a specific reason for asking these questions - so would love your honest feedback on this topic! :)

I've always been a one-stop Internet Marketing Shop (even say that on my website). I offer any/all services surrounding Internet Marketing. As for my subcontractors, all are at their going rate and we work on either long-term retainers or project based. Actually some I even buy specific packages from be it creating ebooks to submitting press releases, etc. The VAs who work with me with my clients are on subcontractor rates.

While the idea of a "one stop shop" has its merits, after my recent experiences, I have absolutely zero desire to be in any kind of multi-VA environment.

I just had a consult with someone this morning that asked how I could provide everything he needs, and I said, "I can give you names of VAs I know that do what you need, but you would need to negotiate with them. I am NOT a multi-VA and I will NOT engage in that business model."

If I lost the client, oh well. I am just not interested in that whole scenario any more, either as a team member or having a team myself.

Interesting Dana. I'm on an Internet Marketers Facebook group; and we had a similar line of conversation going on there and the general consensus was that if you're an entrepreneur, you tell the client yes - I can do it, and then you figure out how to make it happen.

I do not believe that having a multi-VA business model is for everyone - because it is definitely a lot of work to manage a Team of people. But it is interesting to know that some clients or PC's want a one-stop shop for everything.

My biggest concern about this setup is the ability to have truly good, qualified VA's to do the variety of work. I have hired VAs that disappeared, did not complete work in a timely fashion.. and the list goes on and on. I've really endured some nightmare scenarios in that regard - so it gives me pause. I have a small Team now and it works - but we're very specialized in what we do, so the Team size is small.

Still... the idea - and apparently the need - is there. Still pondering. :)

Guest doberry

Traci --

As a biz owner who outsources, I'm one who just "wants it done." I don't want to have to negotiate with several people to accomplish something. I know there are plenty of people like me out there.

You want to be careful having contractors on your team who only work for your company. So make sure if you move forward, you're covered business wise. The IRS calls those kind of staff employees and there can be big penalties for classifying someone as a contractor when the biz is using them as full time staff.

Denise

Hi Denise - yes ma'am, my hubby manages all the books and legal stuff and keeps us on the straight and narrow in that regard.

Interestingly, had a call with a PC just today on this very topic - he's wanting a one-stop shop he can send work to (he's an offline consultant). I have a few other clients who are offline consultants, so in many regards, I'm a one-stop shop already, because of the wide variety of services I already offer.

Traci

While I'm not a "one stop shop", it's not in my business model to be one either. I have stopped saying "never" because for some reason something always happens to change the "never" to "maybe just one time" or "two". So even if I grow my business to include others, I will still focus on the core services that I currently offer to my clients.

For those that have responded and others, although you may not want to be a "one stop shop" do you take advantage of being a "connector" by providing a referral for those who provide the other services? It would seem beneficial to have a group of service providers that you trust and be willing to offer them as a solution to your clients. I would think that you become even more valuable to your clients and seen as the person who can help get the job done, even if you do not do it yourself. Thoughts?

Hi Tom. That's what VANetworking.com is all about! So I would suspect that those who don't want to be a one-stop shop, could then refer that work to another VA.

I would think at the very least, that would be the best way to fully serve your client - keep a list of VA's that offer differing services than you, so you can either use them as sub-contractors, or directly refer your clients to them.

Tom

I started Metro Richmond VAs about a year ago to learn more about what services local VAs (in my area) have to offer. While I do know several VAs through this forum and IVAA, most of my clients are local and want someone that is local as well. I do refer potential clients to other VAs who I believe might be a good fit for them, in addition, I also refer other business owners (not VAs). While I do refer VAs, I have to feel confident in their abilities and how they operate their business. Who I refer to others also reflects back on my business and I only want to make quality referrals.

if I refer a client to another VA for a service I don't offer, its out of my hands. There are only 2 exceptions that that - my two best friends. BUT - I trust their work product, so while I may not have to be hands-on, my clients know the relationship going in.

AND - before I refer a client to another VA for something, I have to absolutely trust in their work. That list is extremely short.

I am a brand new member of the VA Insider network and find this discussion intriging. There seems to be an advantage to both opinions. I would think that a business searching for a VA would sometimes being looking to achieve a one time service for something specific and at other clients would need a varity of multiple services.

Relative to trusting other VA's to do quality work, I think that is a valid concern. How do those of you who do subcontract and or refer to others screen those VA's?

I screen those VA's like I would any other member of my Team - by testing their knowledge and skill. I have tests I developed that are specific to what I do, to see if the VA truly knows what I need her/him to and can follow instructions.

Also, I'm more inclined to hire someone say, off this forum, vs. someone I have no other connection with.

Like Tracey, I will only refer to a VA I know and preferably if I've met them in person. I've been lucky enough to meet about 80-90 wonderful VAs in person through conferences and those are the ones I think of first for referrals.