R0nniebryan

Are we telling our leads too much about ourselves?

Hello, Assistants, I think this would be a good topic of discussion, for intermediate marketer's , such as myself, to transition into industry leader's, the question, is how much of yourself do you share with your leads and prospects? how much do you keep a mystery?

Tip: Be yourself, this goes to common sense, here, but is a valuable tip, I learned along the way, it is alright, to talk about your mentor, but share what your mentor taught you, don't just say, Tim Sales , is awesome, you can learn a lot from him, then link to his website=)

Hey, no one is perfect, I had to learn, that was not a very good practice in front of potential prospects.

what have you learned?that could benefit any small online business? or anyone thinking of an online business? either as an assistant, or any number of other careers, that has become virtual-digital based?

Hi Ronnie

I am not only the owner of a multi-technical VA business, but I am also an internet marketer (defined as: I have my own products I created and sell) and an affiliate marketer (defined as I promote other people's products and earn commission) - so I'm a true entrepreneur.

Especially in the affiliate marketing side of my business, there is a certain learned finesse in sharing someone else's product with your market (i.e. mailing list, blog readers, social media connections, etc...). In your example: you basically describe two ways most people approach the "sharing":

1. One person is like someone who enters into a conversation with someone (their market) they have been communicating with and establish some rapport with. This is because they continually communicate and convey information to the conversation. So the communication is conversational in nature. There's a familiar ebb and flow to it. It's more natural. When they share a product, service or whatever - they get a favorable response (clicking their links and buying the product - so conversions!).

2. The second person is like someone who walks into a dinner party of people he/she has never met or talked to before, and stands on the table in the middle of the room and starts the sales pitch and throwing out business cards in people's faces.

Which scenario do you think will get the better response? :)

Method #1 takes time and effort; but it builds that Know-Like-Trust factor that folks want before they buy. This method reminds me of the small Mom & Pop business owner that knows their customers by name, knows what the like/want/need and they seek to address that need.

Method #2 is often what is used for folks who are nervous about talking or communicating to people. Or perhaps they lack confidence. They are more concerned with getting A sale, than building any sort of relationship and community with their market. While their efforts might work sometimes, they are not seeing the bigger picture and are selling themselves, and their business short, and missing out on a lot of potential revenue. They aren't listening to their market. People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care. To serve your market is to care about them and what it is they need.

Awesome,great stuff Traci, yeah, I am familiar with affiliate marketing, internet marketing, direct sales both in an online and offline environment. I have not created my own products yet, but sure love Eben pagan , great mentor to listen to,if this is your thing. Your mentioning sharing, the pro's and con's of each, but let me dig a little deeper, still leaves the unanswered question, how much do you tell your prospect, and how much do you keep a mystery? I know according to many top earner's industry wide, you share your best stuff for free,Eben pagan , even discusses this, but how much of your best stuff do you hand out?where do you stop sharing, and establish the business relationship? is this making sense to you? or do I have charlie brown syndrome, with the blah, blah, blah?

I've always gone by the philosophy of giving them the what and why and selling them the how. You can give a lot of info for free regarding the what and why on something - but step-by-step 'how' is what you sell.

Of course, you can also give them a small bit of the how, but the full details on step-by-step 'how' is what you sell. Then you upsell them the coaching, mentoring and/or your personal time.

Traci, very good,my problem is I have not been selling them anything and giving them the what, why, and how for free, it has resulted in some sales, but not enough to go full -time, now I see what I was doing wrong, it is like the fisherman dumping his worms into the lake, and not actually, setting one on the hook=) some fish may get close to the boat you can grab in a net, but, for the most part your still going what did I do wrong=)Good stuff, thank you , for sharing.

Edited by R0nniebryan

Ronnie

It's like Traci said, the "know, like, trust" factor. I have found that once I get to know people and their business, the "like" process begins. Then when they hear others talking about my services, the "like" makes them want to talk to me about the services that I offer. That's when the "trust" starts to show up. It is definitely a slow process not one that happens overnight. I have created consultation process that helps me go from lead to prospect to possible client. This has helped me make sure that I cover the same thing each time I talk with a prospect.