Sign in to follow this  
tnewcomb

Transcription

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help with learning transcription. There is so many different on-line training and software. Does anyone have a recommendation or some advice?

Thank you!!

Tammy

What kind of transcription do you want to do? I offer transcription and have never had any training other than on the job training. I have learned different kinds of transcription by getting jobs but if you can type at a relatively fast rate and be accurate, then you can do it. As far as software is concerned, I use Express Scripts which is free and I bought a foot pedal. You can google that to find out where to buy it. It will take just about any file type and is commonly used. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I agree with Stephanie. All that is involved in transcribing is being able to type the words you hear. Special experience is required for certain industries where the lingo or language is not ordinary, such as legal and medical. You also need to be a pretty fast typist, otherwise the amount of time it'll take to transcribe won't give you a good ROI (for example, my typing speed has been tested at 104 wpm and for a very clear, concise transcription, it takes me about 3 times the speaking speed -- for example, if the recording is 10 minutes, it will take me 30 to transcribe it). You'll also want to have exceptional spelling and grammar skills to be successful at this.

As Stephanie, I also prefer Express Scripts with a foot pedal.

Good luck!

Cheryl

• Like 2

I must agree with both of them. Transcriptioning is data entry job/task for people who are very keen into details. This task is most of the time repetitive so patience is also a must.

I've done both video and audio transcriptioning but I didn't use any software.

• Like 1

Yes, it depends on what type of transcription you want learn. If it is the basis then find an idea here

http://e-infopages.com/2013/interview-transcription-converting-interviews-to-press-releases/

and if it is about learning it professionally then there are many online tutorials from which you can learn but my advice would be that learn from a tutor at home

Edited by saragomsa