Danielle

Do you allow yourself a summer vacation?

I can't believe it is already August. Summer is halfway over and it is sad to think about the cold weather coming back. Although I am excited to start Snowboarding again.

Did you or are you taking some time for yourself in the summer to go on a vacation?

I have been away for most of the summer but have taken my business with me. I haven't really had any official days off besides the weekends but I have done lots of fun stuff.

Sometimes it can be hard to separate your home business from your day to day life. One thing I have done in the past is plan a time when I want to go away and send my clients an official email in advance notifying that I will be away from this date to this date so we can plan ahead for that.

Don't forget to take some time for yourself and enjoy the nice summer weather before it is over. Just because you work from home doesn't mean you don't deserve a vacation too!

Danielle

I agree that you need to take time for a vacation, but for me I will take my vacations at other times of the year. When it's not 92+ degrees F with 98% humidity, okay so the temperature has come down some from the 99-103 degree days. I will agree that San Francisco in the summer is great (basically because the temperature rarely varies from 65-75 degrees, at least it didn't when I was there).

I have done some travelling this summer but I have found that I really don't want to be outside when it's 90 degrees and higher. I have left the beach trips to my husband and daughters who love the sand, sun and ocean; they don't care if they sleep in a tent, cabin, condo or house -they just love the beach.

So I am looking forward to this fall when I hope to take a few days off and travel the "Crooked Road" in southwest Virginia.

My main holiday is Christmas, when I take two weeks. During the rest of the year I may take one or two long weekends. It may sound like very little, but I am very strict and don't work weekends unless there is a major crisis. My clients accept this and respect my long winter break.

Sheena

I don't take holidays much myself and tend to turn a business conference I have to attend into an extended vacation.

I do however try to take every Wednesday off. I guess overall that is 50 days off for me every year LOL

I am going to BlogWorld in Vegas this January. Going to bunk up with my friend Lynn Terry and even though it is business, will be fun too.

Yes. I've become increasingly comfortable with just leaving things to my team and disappearing.

Having said THAT, I almost always check email twice per day. My team has access to my email and can handle nearly everything, but we've found that my mild OCD goes into overdrive if I don't have the ability to know that everything is okay. So I spend 30 minutes per day or so on vacation clearing emails and checking in with people. Is it perfect? No. But it keeps me sane and really even my husband encourages it at this point. I don't enjoy the vacation otherwise.

My business allows me to take vacations and I do. I travel for business a few times per year and I also take a few vacations per year. Sometimes a long weekend (like this weekend we spent it just an hour away, but we went tubing down the river and made a whole weekend event of it). We usually take one big vacation per year (this year was Disney, last year we did several long weekends in a row to several towns in Texas, the year before we spent two weeks at the beach, etc etc).

Make it work for you. Everyone doesn't fit into a box. I cannot totally disconnect. And I don't always follow my self-imposed rules, but it makes me comfortable and really that's what vacation is all about.

I just took my first real vacation in six years! It always seemed life was too hectic, too much to do, too much responsibility, etc. The hubby and I were feeling burned out and just said 'to heck with it!' I let everyone know I would be incommunicado for a week, made sure all deadlines were met, bills paid, etc. and went 'off-line' for a week. It was wonderful until I got back today. :D I had 188 emails to sort through but everything else was just fine.

We've decided to start taking 3 day weekends on a regular basis (say every 3 months, or so) from now on to keep up 'on track.'

Right now I'm enjoying my staycation since it's my one week off from school in between the Summer and Fall sessions. I'm spending the week relaxing, doing some client work, catching on my reading and yesterday I went to school for a club fair.

For the last three years I've been able to confine my work to during the day (with some nights to meet deadlines) which means I don't work weekends. We usually plan two big trips per year as both sides of the family are at least a 14 hour drive (plane tickets are too expensive here in Australia - it costs the same for us to fly to family as it would to go to the US) away from us here in Melbourne. If we don't do the big trips we don't see our families and we are very close to both mine and code monkey's siblings. This January I'll be taking almost two weeks off to go on our vacation. We will have a total of 9 adults (mine and his siblings and husband/wives) and 12 children (aged 17 to 2) staying in 4 cabins on the water. It's a holiday park so we don't need to go anywhere or do anything!! We are so looking forward to it and yes I'll check in my emails twice a day like Candy does but I'll be letting my team look after our clients while I'm away.

I haven't had the time last summer to go a long break with the kids but this coming summer, I'd definitely render more time for them. At least 2 weeks, I guess...even if I have to bring work along. We all deserve the break really. :)

Edited by jaydeen

Anyone have anything fun planned for the summer? I hope to try and slow my business down a bit until July. My boyfriend goes to Oklahoma in July for over a year for pilot training so I want to spend as much time with him as possible until he leaves! I plan on working a ton of hours once he leaves in July. I'd like to work on expanding my business this summer!

Danielle, will you be able to visit him in Oklahoma much? A full year! Here's a motherly suggestion ;) Ask him to marry you! :))) I'm sorry, but he is so awesome and you've two been together for so long, I just want to see you both happy which you always are whenever I see you together.

PS: Delete this post if you want but I just think you two would make me the most beautiful grandchildren in the whole world (yes I said that LOL). I can't think of a better man for you to have by your side for the rest of your life :)

Ok, I'm off my motherly pedestal...me? I'm taking two weeks off from June 13-27 and going to my parents cottage way up north in Ontario at Mazinaw lake. They have sporadic internet (steal from the neighbour's satellite dish LOL) and no washroom on the premises. I'll have to use the Outhouse. But I will have a quaint two bedroom cottage all to my own on the most beautiful lake in the world. I'll be reading, fishing with dad, sunbathing and knitting with mom for two weeks. It's their 50th Anniversary party and they don't even know I'm flying in. We are having a cottage potluck dinner with them on the first Saturday with all their church friends. Then the next Saturday it is Dad's sister's 90th birthday party at a hall in Trenton so we are all invited to it and I'll have a cake there to for them. This is will the biggest Sutherland reunion so far. We used to have them years ago before Grandma died but I honestly haven't been to one in over 20 years so really looking forward to it!

Attached is a pic of mom getting dinner at the cottage. It's gonna be redneck rough! ;)

Other than that, I did just take the weekend off unexpectedly and went to Kelowna, BC. Stayed at a really pretty lodge right on the lake and did nothing but eat, sip wine and hit the pool/saunas. Was a really wonderful time and all rested and feeling grand this week!

I'm more of an impulsive traveler and go last minute if the opportunity arises.

Other than that, I have little planned so far this summer. Hard to take a holiday when I live right on the oceanfront.

IMG_0143.JPG

I head out Wednesday for two weeks holidays. 90% of the time I will be unhooked from the Internet so if you don't find me frequenting the forum much that is why ;)

Looking forward to my holidays and hope all of you are taking some this summer as well. I'll be back end of June.

I hope you're having a wonderful time Tawnya! Sounds like you were headed to an amazing place to just relax and unwind. Sometimes we just have to get away and unplug for awhile.

I just came back from my first vacation in 4 years that I didn't work every morning. Barely touched my laptop at all. It was HEAVEN!!!!

Safe travels back!!

I am having a fabulous time at the cottage. If you follow me on Facebook, I've posted a bunch of pictures. It was a surprise for my parents and here's the video when mom first saw me. I honestly thought she was going to have a stroke LOL

Mom and I cry every time we watch it LOL!