Cathy Drappier

Using Contests to Promote Your Brand

Anyone want more people to sign up for their blog, service, newsletter, mailing list, etc.? One way to gain more interest is to host a contest or sweepstakes in order to get people to give you their e-mail address. This blog post by Daniel Burstein gives some great info on why a contest can boost your social media following and how to get a contest set up step-by-step. So...here's the link: Social Media Marketing: 7 steps for using contests and sweepstakes to promote your brand

Have you used a contest/sweepstakes in your marketing and did you note an increase in followers?

Cathy

I set up a contest on my blog that isn't VA related. ImLovingThis.com

I submitted it to a few giveaway websites and also put a video on youtube for it.

I received over 1,000 entries to it. I used this handy giveaway widget Rafflecopter to set up my giveaway.

I felt it was very successful and I am going to be doing another one in the fall.

I got people to like my facebook and follow me on twitter, youtube and other places to gain extra entries.

I set up a contest on my blog that isn't VA related. ImLovingThis.com

I submitted it to a few giveaway websites and also put a video on youtube for it.

I received over 1,000 entries to it. I used this handy giveaway widget Rafflecopter to set up my giveaway.

I felt it was very successful and I am going to be doing another one in the fall.

I got people to like my facebook and follow me on twitter, youtube and other places to gain extra entries.

Wow! 1000 entries is awesome!

Hi Everybody,

I'm impressed with the volume of entries mentioned above.

Can't stop thinking about the direct mail offer a new employer made before I got there. He sent out 5,000 letters asking people to complete a computer survey, in exchange for a free Swiss Army Knife. He got 350 responses.

Trouble was, the letter was sent to top executives. 50 employees were tasked with the follow-up. Not a single computer was sold. Turned out that the surveys were mostly completed by mail room clerks who just wanted Swiss Army Knives.

To me that was a big lesson in making sure that whatever you offer, contest, freebie, etc., has some direct relevance to what you ultimately want to sell. Otherwise you hear mainly from people who want the prize, but could care less about what you're selling.

If the administrative overhead to follow-up on 1,000 responses is not too great, then this might not be such a worry. If it is, however, then even 25 qualified responses would be much better 1,000; cost-wise, time-wise and sales-wise.

Yes, my contest was related to what I blog about on my website. I use affiliate marketing to bring in revenues for that website. So all the people that entered my contest were most likely interested in my topics. I think all my entries were women.

I feel that my contest was worth it. It really didn't take up any of my time because I used Rafflecopter and it does all the work for you. It took me like 5 minutes to set it up and then like 15 minutes to go to the post office and ship it later.

I did it mainly to grow my social network following. And I will be doing another as soon as I gather a few more things to give away.

But it would have been a waste if I gave away a Swiss Army Knife like you mentioned. It has nothing to do with my niche. Although the girls may enter to win it for their guy and in turn click on one of my banner ads and purchase makeup or clothes.