Guest jeriwoods

Question on Fax/Multifunction machines

Guest jeriwoods

Hi all,

I'm just getting started as a VA with an extremely ("Do we NEED that postage stamp?") limited budget and a cramped home office.

I already have a computer, high-speed cable modem, scanner, and colour printer, but I want to add a fax to the mix, and I'm not sure what to get. I only have one phone line and would prefer not to add another.

I'm considering getting a multi-function printer/copier/fax machine, which could sit where my printer sits now, but I do a lot of desktop publishing, and I want to be sure I can still get the same quality of printing (fast black-and-white printing, photo colour capability, and preferably the ability to print on both sides of the page - my HP Deskjet will do this by printing the even pages, prompting the user how to re-insert the pages in the printer, and then printing the odd pages).

So -

Standalone fax or multi-function machine?

Which machines offer good quality at a low price? (At this point, laser printing is beyond my budget).

And how urgent is it to have a fax machine? (I have a few local clients, none of whom require the use of a fax at this point).

I'm just putting my website up today, so I have time - but I'd like to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Hi Jeri,

I am in the same position as you financially! It is the pits!

I originally purchased a stand alone inexpensive fax machine (Brother). It works great but the refills are expensive if you receive a lot of faxes. I received a 4 in one for my birthday and it is great but does not have an automatic feed. Right now I am using the 4 in one to receive and when I send faxes I use the stand alone.

I have a phone number with a special ring for my fax machine.

Hope this helps!

Nancy smile.gif

Guest CindyHillsey

Hi Jeri,

I use Maxemail for my fax service. It cost me $24.95 to set it up ($14.95 fee plus $10 setup fee). I love it! My brother-in-law also uses them for his business. Here'a link: http://www.maxemail.com/

First, congrats on starting up. I know start-up phase can be the pits. Just know it will smooth out!

As far as the 3 in 1 machines - I was considering getting one until I saw that on most of the models there is a slight "glitch". wacko.gif If one component goes... they all go. wacko.gif I can live without my fax and sometimes my scanner... but don't make me go without my printer. I do a lot of component troubleshooting for clients, family, and friends. This isn't something to take lightly. Hardly any of them realized that this could happen.

While I like the convenience and space saver these machines offer, I dont' know if it is worth it.

I don't know if any of you use your fax all that much for outgoing faxes. I maybe use outgoing three or four times a month (if that). Consider, as I have, getting an eFax or J2 fax service. It is free to receive faxes, comes straight to your email and outgoing is something like $.10 a page. Well... I have only used it once or twice and it was fine for me. And $.20 wasn't much compared to the cost of space, materials (ink/ribbon), phone line cost, and electricity I am saving not having a machine sitting on my desk or counter.

Just keep that in mind.

shamrock.gif

Guest jeriwoods

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Heather - a special thanks for mentioning that "glitch" in all-in-one machines. Like you, I can cope if anything else goes, but don't take away my printer!

I will look into some of the e-fax alternatives - mostly what I want at this point is the ability to RECEIVE faxes, so that would probably work well for me.

Thanks again!

PS My website is now LIVE at va.artbyjerilynn.com! crossfingers.gif

Guest TerryGreen

Jeri,

You say you have a scanner? Windows has a built-in fax component. I used if for quite a while before I got a stand-alone fax. Receive faxes with no other components needed, or send faxes by scanning and sending through Windows.

And yes, I second, third and fourth the bit about all-in-one systems. If one goes they all go. They are great to use as long as you have a back-up printer in your closet.

Congratulations on starting your biz!

Welcome.

Terry

Hi Jeri and welcome smile.gif

Just wanted to throw my .02 in about using an on-line fax service. There's one that I really like that one of my client's use called MyFax that provides you with a toll-free fax number, fax delivered to your e-mail, and costs $10/month. Since I receive so little faxes (like 1 in 6 months) I'm pretty happy using the free efax for now, but should that change, I'm definitely going with this other service.

The best of luck to you!