I am working full time as an admin assistant with more than 20 yrs experience and ready to work from home. I am investigating the VA business and I know I have services, skills to offer businesses. I am trying to decide on a name for my .com site; any suggestions? I left work early and listened to the webinar Tawny gave on getting started. Took lots of notes, but still investigating. I live in Oklahoma. Thanks

• Like 1

Naming a business is a personal decision - one way to help is to either use your name, or variation of your name; OR, if you intend to specialize your services for a particular niche market, that might help you choose a name relevant to that market.

Welcome to the club! Finding a suitable name is tricky. What I did was think of words that conveyed the idea of what my business was about, then I looked at those words in the Thesaurus to find similar words...Voila! Boost! That's what worked for me anyways, others use their initials or names.

Welcome. Your business name is a personal decision. The first two names that I came up with for my business, when I "googled" pulled up results that I really didn't want my business to be associated with. [Who knew???? LOL]

Like everyone above has said, naming your business can be a challenge. My recommendation is make it something that you are comfortable with.

Hi, I'm new to the VA business too. I'd love to connect sometime to share ideas etc. I'm in the process of trying to put together a business plan etc. while still working my regular job until I can get my business off the ground. Feel free to contact me if you are interested. runkejamy@gmail.com

Joan Runke

Choosing a domain name is as important as choosing your business name. It will be used in many marketing materials, hence, let it compliment your business name yet be short and sweet so it is easily remembered. For example, my business is named “Mediamage Business Solutions”. Naming my domain www.mediamagebusinesssolutions.com would be excessively long. Potential clients might misspell the name when typing it in and it would take up a lot of space on marketing materials.

People want a website they can quickly type into a web browser. Naming my domain www.mediamage.com was a perfect solution. It is quick to type and easy to remember. Or so I thought at the time. People tend to want to put an "I" in my domain name and call it www.mediaImage.com

Another domain name I could have used was www.businesssolutions.com. However, it was reserved by another company.

If a particular domain name especially appeals to you, but is taken, you have the option of hyphenating the domain name; e.g. www.business-solutions.com. Chances are the domain name will be available.

A benefit of using hyphens between website keywords is in the search engine’s query results. If an individual typed “business solutions” into a search engine, which of the above addresses would appear? Both?

Unfortunately, a search engine sees www.businesssolutions.com as one word “businesssolutions,” whereas it reads two distinct words in the second example “business solutions." Be advised that this only works with hyphens and not underscores. So if you want two separate words in your domain name, use a hyphen only.

When choosing your domain name, consider alphabetical listing. Many URL’s posted as links of in business directories on other websites are listed alphabetically. In this case, www.acme-VA.com will list higher than www.VA-acme.com.

I recommend choosing a “.com” as this type of domain name is used most frequently when people search for businesses. But should a .com be unavailable and your target market is in, say, Canada, consider using a .ca.