Hello,

My name is Karen Stevenson and I'm the President of Crucial Virtual Office Services Inc. I launched in May 2012, and have yet to attract any clients. I have a website that has received traffic, but the traffic has not turned into billable income for my business.

I have done a press release as well, continue to hand out business cards and promote via word of mouth. I also have a Facebook and LinkedIn page that I started about a month ago, but this is a new field for me and don't want to say just anything on social media.

I don't have anything for a marketing budget at this time, and I work full time until I can get my business into a full time position.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Karen

ks@kscvosinc.com

kscvosinc.com

Karen

Welcome to the forum at VAnetworking.

Just a couple of questions: When you started your business, did you create a Business Plan? Do you have a target market and/or niche?

Hi Karen,

As for marketing, create a monthly marketing plan that varies across multiple platforms your target market would frequent. Everything needs to evolve around where your ideal client hangs out AND the type of marketing message that will connect with them. If your ideal client would be found on one of the social media sites then market there but if this isn't a medium they use then don't waste your marketing efforts there. It would be similiar to advertising at the football training camp for chefs when a better place to market to chefs would be the wholefoods store. Make sense?

I realize you don't have much of a marketing budget, but you will need to find at least a little money for it. I used the ResourceUSA database (through your local library - accessible online if you have a library card) to develop a mailing list for my target market. I sent out a series of 3 postcards (a few weeks apart - I created and printed them myself) to my target list of approx 170 names and got a client out of that! One client doesn't seem like much, but I used the money earned to do further marketing and, after 6 months asked for a referral from my client. The combination got me started with a few more clients and word of mouth has kept me busy since. :)

Welcome Karen! You might want to wander around here and check out the marketing forum too which has tons of info on how to market your business.

Tawnya Sutherland, Founder & Market Leader of VAs Since 2003

Check out all the FREE RESOURCES and training videos we have available for Virtual Assistants plus DOWNLOAD our Virtual Assistant Start Up Checklist!

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.

Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)