Tawnya Sutherland

Outlook and HTML emails - How to do them?

Hi Tawnya! :-)

Since I know you really know your HTML ;), I am assuming you have set it up in Dreamweaver, or something similar. You can also produce a word document and save it as an HTML document. Once you have your HTML code do the following for Outlook 2002:

Change the message format to plain text, HTML, or Rich Text

Change the default message format for all new messages

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format tab.

In the Compose in this message format list, click the format you want.

Specify the default message format for one new message you'll create

From the main Microsoft Outlook window, on the Actions menu, point to New Mail Message Using, and then click the format you want to use.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by NaomiBlvs

Naomi,

Thanks for the advice above. Another question: I remember seeing three tabs on the bottom of my HTML email at one time that said Preview, Source, View (or something to that effect) but cannot seem to see these tabs anymore. I remember them being very helpful when I was creating my html email years ago. I cannot for some reason view source of the html of the email and need to find this area so I can edit it.

Tawnya

Hi Tawnya! :)

I don't use Outlook as my e-mail client; however, this is the information I found in their help files. This is MS Outlook 2002

Edit an HTML message

Open the message you want to edit.

On the Edit menu, click Edit Message.

Make the changes you need in the message.

Note If the message was created in a Microsoft Office program, such as Microsoft Word, it will switch to that program for editing under the following circumstances: The message was sent using the program's Send To (Mail Recipient) command, and you have a copy of the program on your computer.

I hope this is what you are looking for, if not, I can ask one of my other VA lists.

Hi Jennifer! :)

HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It is the code that helps browsers read your web page. There are various programs that make it easier for a non-HTML coder (person) to develop web pages, without knowing HTML, such as FrontPage, Dreamweaver, GoLive, etc. However, if you know code, and like doing things the hard way :P, you can develop a web page on any plain text program, such as Notepad in Windows.

Thanks Naomi. :)

I was actually wondering if there is a program called HTML 4.0. I have seen it in the source code of various emails that I have received and was curious as to whether that was the program they used to create their emails. The source code actullay looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

or

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

These emails attracted my attention and I wanted to find out what they used to create them.

Jennifer

You can read about Document Type Degulations here.

HTML is not a program but a coding programming language (other programming languages for example are C+, Pascal, Perl, etc) that HTML programs use to make webpages. It has versions HTML version 4 (HTML4) same as Windows has operations system versions ie) Windows 98, Windows 2000 or Windows XP

Dreaweaver, Frontpage, etc are HTML editors (programs) but you can design a website without a program in notepad or a text editor if you know the language of HTML

Does this clairfy it any better and if not, just ask further and we will try to explain clearer.

Tawnya

Here is an example of HTML programming that you could make in notepad, rename the file test.html and upload to your server. The result would be a webpage that had the words "Hello World" on it.

<html>

<head>

<title>My First Webpage</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<body>

Hello world!

</body>

</html>

Excellent! Thank you!

That makes sense. So how can I tell which program they used to create the email....or can I? I thought in the source code it often tells you what program was used. Am I losing my mind? :withstupid:

Jennifer

Sometimes you can tell if they have used Frontpage since Frontpage automatically inserts this into the code (one reason I use Dreamweaver professionally since it does not insert any unecessary coding). You will find this in the metatag area at the top of the source code.

Once again, Frontpage has its benefits and I am not putting it down at all <winking sweetly at Naomi>

Tawnya

Still stumped here in Outlook. It is easy to send html and edit html emails in Outlook express since all you do is send webpage as new email but unfortunately the client wants to use Outlook and I am braindead on how to figure this one out today.

I am still needing to find an answer on how to create one in Outlook 2000 and any tutorials would be helpful. I am scouring the net as I type here ;)

Tawnya