jenniferblankenship@vammi.com

My First Networking Event....

Well I am preping to go to my first networking event on Nov 20th. The group allows each person to do an "intro" for 30-60 seconds. I plan on taking a lot of business cards and brochures. I also have a possbile trade fair to attend. I have to get more info on that.That is once a month at least for the next few months. I'm excited.

• Like 1

Good luck with the events you have coming up. Be sure when you're trading business cards with people you:

1. Really look at the business card. Note their name and other information on the card.

2. Don't be on the lookout for the next person to talk to. Be present with the person you're with. Nothing is worse than seeing the person you're talking to looking over your shoulder for someone else to talk to.

3. DON'T DRINK TOO MUCH ALCOHOL!

4. If you said you'd follow up with someone in the next 2 or 3 days, do it within the next 1 or 2 days.

• Like 1

Dana - thanks for the pointers. One good thing about me, I don't drink. My biggest thing will be actually getting comfortable enough to talk to people. I just learned today that the events got messed up on the MeetUp site so the only one I am going to try and make is now on Dec 11. I have my son that week but my parents are going to take him that evening so i can go. TG for family. :-)

I always focus on meeting just a couple of new people each event and focus on getting to know them well. Building long term relationships is what it is all about. Like Dana said, don't be on the lookout for the next person to talk to ;)

Well the networking event got pushed to January 8th (long story). But I did attend a farmer's market on Saturday. I met a few people and handed out several business cards and brochures. For my first outing and considering the "pool" of people, I consider it a success. All of the people were after the $10 60# produce basket, the vendors were the in-line "entertainment"

My biggest tip... don't hand out more than a few cards. It's not about getting your card. I get tons of those. I want to know you. I don't hand mine to anyone unless they ask for it. Networking is definitely more about relationships than who has whose business card.

The Farmer's Market went well. I think I handed out 3 cards and actually spoke to those people. There were only about 10 vendors there and most did not have actual businesses. The gal next to me made Christmas goodies and items just for the holdiays and was there selling them. It was a real hodge-podge but i got me "experience" in for next time.