Tawnya Sutherland

What are everyone's plans for the holidays?

About 4 years ago we were ALL sick at Christmas, so that morning I got up, made the ham I had bought, and threw the cheesey hashbrowns in the oven and warmed up some waffles and after we opened gifts on Christmas morning and ate some breakfast, we just lazed around all day.

The kids were getting over whatever we had (flu, maybe?) and I was coming down with it, so we were all "blah!". In the past, we had gone to my mother-in-law's and/or my father-in-law's (they've been divorced for over 25 years now) and then we'd hit Aunt Dianne's house. That year, we didn't go anywhere. Mother-in-law was coming down with whatever we had, too, and I think father-in-law may have been spending it with his new wife's family that year after we told him there was going to be little to no festivities going on, i.e., no one's cooking a turkey!

After that year, we decided that THIS is the way to do Christmas, so Christmas morning I'll be making ham, Hashbrown casserole, Baked French Toast, a Jello salad (black cherry jello, walnuts & apples), pumpkin bread and mini quiches (Broccoli & Swiss, Asparagus & Swiss, Spinach & Swiss) and we'll open gifts around 10, have some brunch and then just graze on that for the rest of the day. I told my mother-in-law that its really not necessary that we come over to her house later, they can come over here, eat, open gifts and then we can do whatever for the rest of the day.

Low key is the way to go for us now. I don't think it does anyone any good to do so much running around anyway. We're with the ones that mean the most to us.

Plus - my mother-in-law's oven is broken, they're leaving for Florida on January 12th, so they're going to deal with replacing it when they get back in May! I don't blame them ... why bother with something like that right now. I told her if she needs a stove, she can come borrow mine, so she's coming over on Saturday to bake cookies that she wants to take to a couple of people's houses on Christmas Eve.