hitvirtual

Blog as front page of site?

I have went back and forth on this. Used to have my blog as the first page on my site, then got slack with posting so I moved it. Now I'm thinking about putting it back. Any opinions?

Karen

If you aren't posting to it 1-2 times a week then I would not use it as your static page. If you are posting regularly to it then having it as your static page is a good option because it shows you are an expert in your niche and are sharing your knowledge. Also look at how many comments you are getting. If you are getting 10+ per post then that means people are interested in your blog and watching it and I would then have it as your main point of entry to your website.

Otherwise, for VAs I think it is better to have your sales copy selling the benefits of your services on your home page.

I use to have my blog as the home page of my site, but like Tawnya mentioned, I was writing a few times a week and there was always fresh content. Now though my two sites have static home pages just for this reason, I don't feel the pressure to have brand new content all the time.

This topic is timely as I have a new client who does have the blog as the home page. There have been zero comments on the blog posts, with fresh content being posted and there's really no anchor to what the site is other than the header information. It's a white collar profession and somehow feels off to be sent to site and land on the blog first. The client includes schedule appointment buttons to the top/bottom of each blog post which no one uses.

Karri Flatla used to do website assessments. Who else does these? I'd like to send this client to someone, besides me, who can assess the strengths and weaknesses of the site.

Ruth, I do website usability studies in my internet marketing company on a regular basis. Karri used to subcontract for my business until she changed careers.

Our "Turning Clicks into Cash" VAinsider Club member webinar at the end of this month is on web usability. Bring your clients website to it and if time permits I do quickie usability studies at the end of these.

I find having a blog as your static page really depends on what you are selling. Its great for Internet Marketers or those who have a finely tuned specialty and are selling products surrounding their niche as it shows they are an expert (lots of blog posts). Websites that are review sites tend to do well with blogs as their static pages too.

A good sign though that a site's blog is not of interest is no comments on the posts. Sometimes you have to just do a test for a month and see if having your blog as your home page works or not.