Mac or PC?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to run a poll on if you have a Mac or PC.

I'd love to hear reasons you own either of them.

I have a PC but when my laptop dies I am probably going to start the switch to Mac.

Hi Danielle,

I have a Dell All-in-One Touch Screen and a small laptop. I have almost always used a PC, but when I can afford it, I will definitely get a MAC for graphics, videos and photography.

Jen :)

I have two PC laptops and 3 PCs. I was going to buy a MAC but honestly they are so expensive compared to the PC and then you have to consider all my PC related software may not work on it so that is why I stick to PC.

Saying that I do have an iphone and ipad ;)

Hi Danielle,

I have a Mac laptop for 4 years and I would never go back to a PC. I had 2 pc laptops and they didn't last more than 15 months. I've written parenting articles for regional parenting pubs for the last 4 years and have never had an issue. I now am a VA and have 3 clients and have always been able to read everything.

I'm able to resize photos easily. I've had 2 writer friends contact me and ask me to make a pdf of their article for storage purposes because their PC couldn't. I didn't have Word until just recently because with Pages any Word document automatically converts to Pages so I can read it or edit it.

I've edited for a client for 3 years and the only thing I have to remember is to export the edited doc back into Word which is a total of 2 clicks. And since you know Word, just buy Word with it.

I don't worry about viruses. My laptop is getting old - or slow - so I recently had to add memory to it.

And as a mom in a family of 7, I understand budget so I don't take the expense of a Mac lightly - if you were to buy one, go ahead and buy the $300 Apple Care 3 year service on it. They will answer any questions you have and it's worth every penny. Get training on it if you live near an Apple store.

My best suggestion is find a close friend or someone who has a Mac so you can ask your many questions - it will help your transition. We have 6 mac laptops and one iPad in the house.

Let me know if you have any questions.

j

• Like 1

A client surprised me this past Christmas with a Macbook Air and I have to say I really love it.

There was a slight challenge with the keyboard at first, but now I've gotten to the point that I can switch between the Mac and PC platform quite easily. I have to admit I can really tell the difference between the two, I prefer the Mac hands down. It's a very small laptop, that's the only downside to it; however, it's so compact and lightweight that I won't even consider taking anything else when I travel.

I have two PC's that will need to be replaced over the next year and I like it so well that I've have decided that I'm going to replace each slowly with a Mac. I'm still not real familiar with the brand, so if anyone has any suggestions as far as what to look for in a larger laptop and a desktop system, I'd love to hear them.

~S

With all the great comments about macs I wish now I had invested in a notebook instead of my PC laptop. Fact is though for me at the time is that my laptop only cost $400 and the Mac I wanted was like $1600+. I could buy 4 laptops for that price.

I have always had a PC up until 4 years ago when I decided to buy a MAC because I was tired of Windows

I picked up a little iBook G4 several years ago and even with a cracked screen (long story) it's been running just fine. We've gone through three PC laptops in the time I've had the mac, no viruses, no problems at all. It's a learning curve but worth it. Saying all that, I still mostly use the PCs instead, basically because the screen is on the iBook is badly cracked and I'm too lazy to plug it into a big monitor! When I can afford it, I'll probably get the screen replaced and keep it as a spare laptop when the laptop I'm currently using finally dies.

Thank you for posting this Danielle!

I just had to upgrade my computer and your timing (and everyone's comments) were very helpful!

I have always been a PC person but I am closer now than ever to "switching teams". Nevertheless, in the end I went with the HP ENVY all-in-one and I am very happy with this purchase. It bugs me that my iPhone is not as compatible as I would wish it to be, but this is still an excellent machine (for less than 1/2 the price of the comparable Mac and money was an issue). The main thing to me is getting the best processor, RAM, and graphics card (etc.) that I can afford. While there are many benefits to the investment in a Mac, I still think that certain PCs offer quality and value for the investment (especially considering the 'short life-span' of any technology investment now-a-days!)

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Natasha

• Like 2

I am going to explore the HP Envy; thanks Natasha. These posts sure do help...thanks everyone. Kelly

• Like 2

I am going to explore the HP Envy; thanks Natasha.

Dear kselbov,

You are welcome, but I should add that now, being a year later, I just got a Macbook!

While I love the luxury of the HP Envy's huge screen (and couldn’t afford 2k last year for the desktop Mac) I have found that Microsoft is really not up to snuff. After more than 15 years on PCs, Microsoft is basically scrambling to keep up with the market demands (at the cost of working out the kinks). Windows 8 is trying to offer a lot of features and it has SO MANY bugs. (And Outlook not playing nicely with my iPhone was a real thorn in my side).

I am making the transition and going to use both (but the Macbook will basically be running the biz + allow me to build my VA empire while traveling the world - lol ;))

The Envy will be more for graphics, playing with opensource and other “at home tasks”

So, a year later I say this: Macs are worth it in the end – 100%. Pay now or pay later or keep the systems separate (i.e. if you have an iPhone stick with Mac, if you have a PC stick with a smartphone). With handling other folk’s administrative challenges, it is certainly not sustainable to constantly be working around your own system’s administrative bugs!

Also FYI - last year I supplemented my research by reviewing my Mom’s subscription to Consumer Reports – that was helpful!

Good Luck (and let us know what you get / what you think)!

-N

P.S.

Last year I tried out MS 365 Small Biz (not going to renew).

This year I invested in Apple’s Joint Venture (which is a lot but with the A#1 VIP treatment and the countless benefits for a Mac newbie, so far it has totally been worth it)

Stay tuned.

I would love to hear feedback from others that have tried either of these professional service offerings.

• Like 1

I use a PC desktop, PC Laptop, PC Netbook, Mac Tower 4, and a IPAD. Some of my clients use macs so the Tower 4 was a necessity and I LOVE my ipad tablet! My primary, though, is my Dell PC desktop...

I have a Mcbook pro now. Along with my Desktop PC, and then I also have my old Toshiba latop.

I do really like the mac but I can't say I'm pro Mac now and would never buy a PC. I could swing either way really.

It took me some time to learn all the keyboard shortcuts for the Mac. It also took me a bit to figure out how everything works. But now when I go to use my PC I'm confused on the shortcuts. It's interesting how quick one can learn and switch and forget.

• Like 3

I recently bought an HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook (notebook PC), equipped with Windows 8, touch screen, all the "bells and whistles".

An HP Envy 4500 wireless multifunction color printer/scanner/copier and a Canon b/w multifunction printer/scanner/copier are also in my office. I keep hearing about having a landline. Is this a requirement? And instead of using a land line for faxing, can I get away with scanning/emailing docs? I used to have a landline several years, along with a smartphone, but I eliminated the landline bill because I reasoned that if I could make free long distance calls through my smartphone, why in the world would I keep the landline? So I ditched it.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

I am still on a PC....... but have always been intrigued by the Mac.....

Always such good information on here and wonderful points to ponder before I buy a laptop......

• Like 1