Sign in to follow this  
Tawnya Sutherland

Fraud Phone calls from Microsoft - BE CAREFUL!

I just got a disturbing call from someone with an Indian accent stating that my name was on a list to call because I was running a Microsoft O/S and it was sending back to them messages saying I had malicious attempts attacking my computer.

They said it would take 10-15 minutes to sort it out, gave me their name, department number and other stuff that you usually get when you ask who you are speaking to.

I told him my computer was fine and he was very persistent that I go through some process with him to remove the attacks. I asked him what they needed me to do and he said I'll need you to type some code into your command run prompt.

NOT!!!!

I then told him to email me the information and I would send it to my computer guy and he could do whatever they required. It then got quiet on the phone on his end. I said its either that or you are a scam.

Long story short, entertaining but wasteful 10 minutes of my time.

NEVER ever do anything to your computer unless you actually phoned tech support. You never know who could be hacking your computer. ;)

• Like 1

This happened to us about a year ago, and my husband was the one to answer the phone. Long story short, he didn't realize that it was a scam and was just about ready to start doing whatever the guy on the other end told him to when I came home and was able to 'save the day'. Needless to say, the husband is not allowed to do anything when it comes to the computers! LOL The moral of that story is: make sure everyone in your family knows that these calls are scams!

I can't believe this is still going on! I got that type of call this morning and hung up the minute the guy said the word "virus".

There are probably some people who still fall for this.

I got one of these calls yesterday. When the caller said he was calling about my computer, I told him my computer was none of his business and hung up. I have to wonder how many unsuspecting people give these guys access to their computers.

Thank you for the cautionary posts!

I just so happen to have a ticket open right now (with HP) that I need to follow up on...

However, with technology issues it seems that “when it rains it pours” and I could imagine that one could get frantically busy with work and other demands and mistakenly think that perhaps s/he was getting a follow up call. But that is why you get a case number! And this is a good reminder to always request that information first. One should probably make sure that either the person calling can provide that case number or just only call out regarding your known issues. I do like the idea of playing dumb though! :)