dmckinney

Questions about doing work for clients

I am a "newbie" and have 2 questions that I need help with.

1. What method seems to work the best for a client to send you their work? Is it email, fax or some type of program that is best?

2. If you are setting up accounts for a client such as domain, webhosting or a PayPal merchant account how do you do this when you need to have their personal information? For some of these accounts you would need their bank routing numbers and/or credit card numbers. I was curious as to how to handle this.

Thank You,

LadyPA, Professional Administrative Services LLC.

www.ladypaservices.com

• Like 1

My clients send me all the things they want me to do for them through email and dropbox. Some of my clients use project management programs to keep track of tasks.

They also just email me their sensitive information for purchases, Paypal and anything like that. I don't really have a system for that. They just seem to email it to me not worrying about it.

• Like 1

For your first question, it varies - I have used email and Dropbox. I don't think there is any "best" way, just what works for you and the client.

For the second question - I think the client just has to give you their personal information if that is required. I have not had to do that but not sure what other method can be used.

• Like 1

I've done all of the above. I usually succumb to getting the information however the client feels comfy sending to me. Sometimes I've taken it over the phone as they feel that is more secure.

I remember one client sent me her credit card number in three different emails. First one had the card number, 2nd had the expiry and the 3rd had the CSV in it LOL!

Talk to your client, find out how they feel comfortable sending it to you.

• Like 1

Oh this is the best topic for me. Okay I just started working for a company. I was asked by the client who was having problems purchasing a painting, to accept money into my personal account for a client. He is unable to use his own corporate credit card for the purchase as it is an overseas purchase. I am to take it to Western Union. So I was hesitant about it because in order for him to send me the money he wants to direct deposit it into my account. I don't believe he could have sent me a check because I would have to deposit it and he wants the fund available the same day as arrival.

But my question for all of you in this forum are these:

1. What exactly are the rules about virtual assistants accepting money on behalf of a client that they are working for?

2. If I am required to use my own personal account am I able to get into any trouble?

3. I am getting paid extra for this actually. Is it normally done?

4. My money is going to get direct deposited to my account from the company- and then I have to pay my own taxes I believe. What are the rules on that as well? I don't know if this question goes in here but I wanted to ask as I am asking about the bank account?

Hmm, sounds well dodgy to me. Personally I wouldn't accept money from a client to then go and buy stuff on their behalf -- this smacks of money laundering to me.

Why is this client unable to pay for overseas purchases with a credit card? I buy stuff from abroad all the time with credit cards. Don't buy that excuse.

Re VA rules... there aren't any universal rules. It's your own business so you can set your own however you see fit. :)

• Like 2

Oh this is the best topic for me. Okay I just started working for a company. I was asked by the client who was having problems purchasing a painting, to accept money into my personal account for a client. He is unable to use his own corporate credit card for the purchase as it is an overseas purchase. I am to take it to Western Union. So I was hesitant about it because in order for him to send me the money he wants to direct deposit it into my account. I don't believe he could have sent me a check because I would have to deposit it and he wants the fund available the same day as arrival.

But my question for all of you in this forum are these:

1. What exactly are the rules about virtual assistants accepting money on behalf of a client that they are working for?

2. If I am required to use my own personal account am I able to get into any trouble?

3. I am getting paid extra for this actually. Is it normally done?

4. My money is going to get direct deposited to my account from the company- and then I have to pay my own taxes I believe. What are the rules on that as well? I don't know if this question goes in here but I wanted to ask as I am asking about the bank account?

Do NOT do this. This is a SCAM SCAM SCAM! Have you been working for this client long? If he can wire the funds into your account, then why can't he simply wire the funds into the account of the person or company he is purchasing the painting from??? That is how these scams usually work. They tell you they want to wire you the money to purchase something on their behalf and for your trouble they will give you some extra money. Somehow Western Union is always involved in these scams. Don't fall for it. In the end you're the one who will end up losing money.

• Like 4

1. What method seems to work the best for a client to send you their work? Is it email, fax or some type of program that is best?

2. If you are setting up accounts for a client such as domain, webhosting or a PayPal merchant account how do you do this when you need to have their personal information? For some of these accounts you would need their bank routing numbers and/or credit card numbers. I was curious as to how to handle this.

Thank You,

www.ladypaservices.com

As everyone else mentioned, you should let the client send you their private information the best way they see fit. I've mostly done this through email and Dropbox, but I did have one client once send me their credit card number and CSV over two text messages because they felt more secure that way. So really there are not set rules for this.

• Like 1

Thank You,

www.ladypaservices.com

I do whatever is easiest for the client. 95% of my clients just do everything via email. I have one client who uses Trello and it works really well.

HTH!

Amy

Certainly with the presence of a more advanced technology to date, communications between clients and business is made oftentimes over the internet. For example, the use of email in the course of doing email marketing service. Also, the use of social media.