Denise O

Telephone Service

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive or free telephone service to use for my VA business in Canada. It doesn't appear that Google Voice is available in Canada.

Thanks,

Denise

Guest bclausen

Hi Denise,

I would suggest looking into a VoIP system. There are a number of them that are less than $10 / month with unlimited calling. Voip.com gets good reviews for Canada!

I have used MagicJack but have not had good results with them (delay on the line, calls dropping, phone not ringing and going straight to VM when I'm sitting right here). I have signed up with VoIPo, and the router is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have better luck with them!

I put my office/business line on my website and business card. I do NOT put my cell phone number on my business card because I like to control who has access to me 24/7.

Best of luck with your phone search!

To your success,

Bethanie

What do you use as a business phone number on your website and business cards?

I put my cell number on my business cards but don't say it is a cell. It isn't worth it for me to have a business line as I rarely ever use my phone for business. The only time I've ever used it for business is when I am trying to secure a new client. You can get a real phone number with Skype as well.

I use RingCentral which is VOIP so that I can have a toll free number and that costs just over $100/yr.

I've also gotten a second ring line on my home landline for $5/mth extra. Maybe that would work for you? Many use it for a fax line but I use mine for my business line 604-542-9664. It gives me two rings if someone calls on it so I know it is business line. I am with Telus.com and for an additional $24.95/mth I can get unlimited long distance throughout North America too!

What I love above that is when my client calls me I can offer to call them back stating I have an unlimited long distance calling plan (makes me sound like I must be doing well in business to be able to have that added perk on my line). My clients are always thrilled I can call them back so they don't have to spend long distance bills calling me.

• Like 1

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I checked Ring Central as well as the cost for a second ring line and they are around the same price except having a second phone line requires a $50 installation fee.

I called my phone company again (Bell Canada) to double check that I needed a second phone line and fortunately was able to speak to someone who was more familiar with the services that they had to offer. I was able to get a second ring line on my original line (no need for a second line at $50) and two voice mail boxes (for home and business) all at no charge. Yippee!!

• Like 1

I should clarify that I pay one price for a package of monthly services with Bell. They allowed me to remove one service from my package (ie: call return) and add the second ring line (aka ident-a-call)

instead to my package of services at no charge. Great way to get that second line without additional charges.

• Like 1

I put my cell number on my business cards but don't say it is a cell. It isn't worth it for me to have a business line as I rarely ever use my phone for business. The only time I've ever used it for business is when I am trying to secure a new client. You can get a real phone number with Skype as well.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a landline and use my cell to make personal phone calls so I was thinking of putting my cell number on my business card. Thanks for the suggestion of not putting that it's a cell number. Do you find that you have clients calling you at strange hours? (off business hours)?

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a landline and use my cell to make personal phone calls so I was thinking of putting my cell number on my business card. Thanks for the suggestion of not putting that it's a cell number. Do you find that you have clients calling you at strange hours? (off business hours)?

My clients have to schedule all calls with me in advance. That is one thing I've stuck with and have never had someone ring me outside of that. :)

• Like 1