Hi All --

I'm finding myself at an interesting point in my trajectory as a VA and small business owner. This past couple of weeks, despite being on jury duty, having a sick dog, and a brother whose marriage is imploding, I managed to book a couple of new clients and wow them to the point that they are going to be going forward with me without hesitation.

But I'm a bit overbooked!

Ironically, it is at this moment a former co-worker has approached me and said she's freelancing now and wondered if I have any overflow work for her. Our skillsets are fairly parallel -- mostly overlap, but with a few complementary areas -- and I've also been getting requests left & right for turn-key social media marketing solutions. It seems I may be at that point of needing to add to my roster!

What is the *one* crucial piece of advice you would give to someone in my position who is on the verge of expansion (aside from the obvious "everything in writing", etc., etc. that is due diligence)?

All the best,

Mark

AdminCavalry

Congrats, Mark!

My one piece of advice is to take the time to vet the subcontractor beforehand. Give a small project, perhaps for your own business first, and check it well before anything done for a client or released back it to a client. It's your business reputation that is reflected should a subcontractor perform sub-standard work. It's important that subs can do the tasks they say they can do. Sometimes portfolios of work isn't applicable and that's were doing a small project for your business comes in.

• Like 2

When it rains it pours doesn't it? ;) KUDOS for you on getting some good rain your way ;)

Like Ruth says, test the new subcontractors out for a bit with small projects. If you don't have time for that and your gut says they would work out fine to bring them on then do not let them have contact with the clients directly in the beginning. Set up some project management system where everything has to be cleared through you first. This will take some time on your part to proof everything. Know this though as well, if their work is crap when you do receive it, you may well have to buckle up and do the work yourself to get to your client on time so try to fit in some emergency hours if needed.

After this VA/subcontractor has proven themselves over a few months, then you can let them deal directly with clients saving you the project management time.

• Like 2