Business Name Mental Block

I am working my way through the VAC and have come to a complete stop at day 7, choosing a business name. I've thought about names for days, searched the internet looking for inspiration and ... NOTHING ... I'm drawing a complete blank. I took a few days away from even thinking about starting a business, hoping that inspiration would find me but nope, I'm at an absolute loss and starting to get dispondent.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to help me on my way again?

Kind regards

Joanne

Hey Joanne

I totally feel where you're coming from; it took me 2 weeks to find a name. It was really doing my head in. Still, I didn't let that stop me from pressing forwards with other things during those two weeks. I wrote my business plan and marketing plan under the name 'Business X' and proceeded to sort out the rest of the business documentation (TOS etc). At least if you do this, you'll feel as though you're making some progress, which is very motivating.

I actually stopped looking for a business name for a while. I really was over thinking it and it sounds as though you're doing the same. Seriously, when you step away the naming process for a bit, you come back with renewed vision and creativity. I stepped away several times during those two weeks and every time I went back to it, I could feel myself getting closer to finding my business name.

I believe it was Tony Robbins who said we are just 1 mm away from realising our dreams. So you're actually a lot closer to finding a business name than you think. :)

Edited by Mena

Hey Joanne,

I totally know how you are feeling.

My experience is similar to Mena's. I worked on it for days and days and could not for the life of me find that right business name. I came up with lots of names but every name I thought of was already taken or someone had something close to it. I even lost a little sleep over it. At that point, I knew it was time to take a break as it was bringing me down that I wasn't moving forward. After taking a few weeks off and focusing on other things, I was able to think more clearly and was able to find my name. As someone who is also taking the VAC, I would suggest moving on to other chapters as there is lots and lots you can focus on and eventually that great business name idea will come.

Hi Joanne,

I think we've all been there, as Denise mentioned.....I was having restless nights, I had to let it go and revisit that step at another time. I even went through a name branding company, they sent some possibilities…but those names just did not rest well with me, then one day a name just came to me "Prosperity Virtual Assistant", I knew that was it and was glad I didn't give that company my $97, although they tried to charge me.

It will come and you will know it, because of the peace that you will have.

I agree, we all go through itI think. For me, I wanted to think about the business I wanted to have, what was my ultimate goal and how could I word that in one or two words. Then I went to a thesaurus and searched for words with similar meanings. In my business, I want to help others build their business...I want to give them a helping hand, a Boost! And that's where I got my biz name from. You never know where the inspiration will come from, you just have to be open to it when it happens!

I can relate your dilemma, I have been trying to decide on a name for a few weeks. I am not pushing myself to decide since I know I can work on others areas of the business planning while I take snippits of time to think over and research name ideas that come to my mind. I jot them down on paper to keep at my desk. This gives me a chance to glance over and see how the ideas feel to me. I'm almost to place where I am ready to commit to a name, but glad I didn't rush it because I wouldn't have thought of as good a name as I discovered recently.

Joanne,

Why don't you just do some word dumping of things you like, make a list here and then maybe as a group we can give you some ideas to brain storm with further. ie) What interests do you have? religion, collect dolls, healthy eating habits, love anything tropical, yada yada. Sometimes writing down your "loves" can lead to a cool business name that represents you.

I'm just on holidays for a couple of weeks and hopefully will check in but write a list of words that interest you or words that you like here at the forum. You can edit your post anytime to add more to the list too.

Thanks guys, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has/is struggling with names.

As Tawnya suggested here are a few things about me / interests I have / words I like ... at this time I don't know what my niche will be so am looking for a business name that can grow and change as my business does. I'm looking for a name that is positive, upbeat and reflects my desire to provide a high quality, timely service.

Characteristics/traits: generous, kind, go the extra mile, hard working, reliable, do it right and on time, confidentiality, integrity, versatile, go above and beyond, conscientious, trustworthy, authentic, dynamic, good communicator, courteous, can work solo and as part of a team, honest.

Industries: Worked in human healthcare and veterinary medicine for 28 years - I love both these fields but don't want to restrict myself to just what I know. For example I have a hankering to work with more creative types ( e.g. artists, actors).

Phrases I like: never give up, the sky's the limit, anything is possible, reach for the skies, the world is your oyster, we make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give (Winston Churchill), in order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision (Dalai Lama).

Interests: technology (I'm a nerd), winter, crochet, dogs, books (mysteries and autobiographies), mountains, World War II

Any thoughts?

regards

Joanne