Sign in to follow this  
Guest katherinepetri

Pay per job vs. Pay per hour

Guest katherinepetri

I am a brand new VA. I have worked for a realtor for about 3 months now, and this is the only client I have had. Up until now, it has been completely on his terms, and that has been roughly 40+ hours a week for $100 a week. I just got my own business license and am looking to take on other clients because what I make now isn't cutting it. I am interested in finding out how you ladies charge your clients and why you prefer to do it that way. Thanks for your input!

Hi Katherine,

I've done extensive research on rate/pay, what I've noticed ....depending on the skill/job/assignment there is a different rate of pay. Some VA's require a retainer fee, to be paid 100% up front. There is some info on this site on that subject, not sure exactly where it is, you'll have to search through the site. I'm sure that Tawnya can lead you direct to it.

I will say this, you are your own boss, and no one should be able to tell you what they're going to pay YOU....you set your rates! In doing the math 40hrs/$100 wkly, that’s $2.50 per hour.

Continue to do your research, and above all else...know your worth and value.

• Like 1

Yes, you are going to have to make more than $100/wk to make it in this industry. Time to up your rates on your terms and if the clients takes a hike because of it then so be it. Use that extra 40 hours a week without them to market your business and get clients paying you what you are worth :)

• Like 1

Hi Katherine-

I worked for a Top Producing team (the first 8 years as an in-office employee and the last 3 1/2 as a VA) and negotiated a "per the job" pay rate. I am currently working for another client on an hourly basis. I much prefer getting paid by the service.. Im finding that im almost penalized for my efficiency when paid by the hour where as by the job, you can hone your efficiency skills and still make a decent living. I negotiated a rate for listing entry which includes a preset menu of services and until recently, had a flat rate for contract to close work. Again, I had an agreed on menu of services I was to provide for their clients. For contract to close, I only got paid after closing, which meant I did put in some work I didnt get paid for. Some would never agree to that kind of structure but I accept that as a part of this business (not that I like it for sure!) and our agents were really good about holding contracts together so It didnt happen too often. Again, however, I was able to set my systems so that I only did the minimal amount of work until we knew for sure the contract was going through.. then the remainder of the tasks kicked in. Im just now branching off from this team and doing some things for other agents and am considering setting up a Hourly and per service menu so that if they just have a list of small items that needs to be tackled, I can charge them hourly but if they have larger projects or want me to handle recurring marketing or project related items, I can have a flat rate set for each of those. Hope this helps!

Amiee

• Like 1