Sign in to follow this  

Phone and Fax

I currently have only a cellphone, long ago having dropped my local phone company. As I am starting a VA business I am going to need a business phone number and also a fax number (I already have a fax machine). Not having much capital to invest I was thinking about getting a couple of Google Voice numbers, one for phone and one for fax. I would connect both a regular cordless phone and the fax via an Obihai 202 box to my broadband router and should be good to go.

Faxes over VOIP are renowned for not being the best quality but I've heard that they are ok using the Obihai (it uses T.38 relay standard). As the cost of an Obihai is <$100 I figure it is worth a try.

Anyone else using Google voice, Obihai, or VOIP? If so what have your experiences been?

Regards

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

I have been using my cell phone and Skype for business calls. I haven't had the need to actually go out and get a separate number as it is rare that I need my phone, I typically only use it when trying to sign a new client. I don't list my cell phone on my website as I was getting a ton of spam type calls. I just give it my clients if they prefer to use the phone. Now that I think about it, none of my clients have ever asked me to chat on the phone, they always want to use Skype.

I really like Skype and I know you can get a phone number with them. Right now I just use the free services they offer but have tried the paid ones in the past and thought it was great and would consider it again in the future if the time comes where I want a separate phone.

I have tried Google Voice before and I do not like it. It was really glitchy, there was static all the time and my calls were dropped quite often. That was over a year ago so it has most likely improved.

I do not have a fax machine and don't have the need for one. The only time one might come in handy for me is also when signing a new client and requiring a signature on my contract. But I just get them to print it out, sign it, scan it and send it back to me. Fax machines are becoming a thing of the past and considering we are "virtual" I try to eliminate the use of paper as much as possible. But a fax machine might be something you need for the services you offer.

• Like 1

I have been surprised at how many places still require either an original through the mail or a fax copy of a signature. As I have a fax machine as part of my printer I think it's worth a try to see if it will work on VOIP.

Thanks for the tip about phone numbers on websites, the last thing I want are spam calls.

Joanne