hitvirtual

Uniting Project Mgmt and Accounting

As a multi-VA business undergoing tremendous growth, I am finding it's time to look at my infrastructure and find some ways to have my systems be more efficient. Right now it is taking me WAY to long to bill my clients. My current system includes:

Project Management Software: Client Spot I like this and it works fine BUT in order to keep the cost down, I assign each Customer as a project and then use "Tasks" as different projects. This is fine but won't integrate with my Quickbooks program because multiple projects have the same task "name" and causes an error when importing.

Accounting Software: Quickbooks Pro I've used it for YEARS. However, it's not integrating with the PMS software (see above).

So my team, tracks time in Client Spot. Then when I bill, I have to export the time for each client as an Excel spreadsheet and enter manually on an invoice in Quickbooks. Most clients also want a detailed timesheet so I have to send them the excel sheet as well.

Time wise it is quickly reaching 8 hours work each month to do this. IF that is how it has to be done, I guess I just have to grin and bare it. BUT I keep thinking there HAS to be another way that DOESN'T cost a lot of money.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Karen

• Like 1

Looked at Digital Sorbet's free trial. I was intrigued by it being created FOR VA's BY VA. Looks like it would be great for someone with a single VA practice. But I have to track time and assign tasks to multiple team members. So, my search continues!

I appreciate your input, Tawnya!

Karen

Hi Karen,

When working in Client Spot try renaming your tasks to include the assigned by date; example: Nwsltr 7.25.13, Nwsltr 7.26.13. You could even add the client's biz initials at the beginning; example: TT_nwsltr 7.25 and/or add a letter at the end for multiples happening on the same day; example: CP_nwsltr 7.25.13_A, CP_nwsltr 7.25.13_B. Since the glitch in importing to QuickBooks is conflicting names modifying how tasks are named may be the key. Give it a test and see if that makes a difference.

Personally, I'd omit sending personalized timesheets of your subs to a client. When I hire a landscaper with a crew of 5 that company doesn't send me a timesheet for each landscaper. I get a summary of hours, as a whole, with a list of what's been completed. Consider removing this 'employer-employee' throwback layer and give yourself some breathing room. I understand being accountable to a client but the proof is in completed work not documenting every minute. The client needs to trust that you are doing your job of overseeing your subs; they don't need to take on this burden and they shouldn't.

All the best,

~Ruth

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Ruth. I will try that.

I don't break out time to client by what team member did it but several want an actual "list" of time spent. Not all of them - thank goodness. Most the time they don't really know which team member did which task.

Karen