Katharine G

Average going rates for Word Press set up?

I am starting to get potential clients interested in hiring me to help them in setting up a Wordpress site. What is the average going rate to charge someone. No template editing, simple install with probably a few plugins, setting up pages, etc.

I am also doing the graphics for their business so I'm wondering about pricing there, too.

• Like 1

You may want to consider just charging a flat fee, but I think it really depends on how comfortable and experienced you are setting up Wordpress sites and how long you think it will actually take you. You can usually charge more for web site creation than for just normal VA work so let's say you charge $30 for VA work you might want to charge more for creating a webs site, say $50. It might take you 3 hours to create a simple site that's $150 but you might want to charge a little more because it could take you 4 hours so that's $200. It really depends on what your going rate is and how long you think it will take you to complete the web site. Hope that gives you a jumping off point. Good luck!

• Like 2

I was planing to figure it by project but to do that I wanted to know an average per hour rate. :) Thanks for the input!

I think the best thing to do is charge a flat fee for the web site project after you know how long you think it will take you to finish it. You want to charge too little and then find out it took you 10 hours to complete it, you know?

• Like 1

Most hosts tend to have a "1 click install" for wordpress, these days and even if they don't, installing it won't take long if you know what you are doing. So, "installing" WP on their host/server won't take you more than 30 mins at the most. Now customizing it and adding content is a different story. Customizing with a theme, installing plugins, etc., might take you all weekend. I would probably charge around $200 to install and customize something basic.

• Like 3

LOL! I am a web designer and I will not even start thinking about touching anything from scratc, wordpress, whatever for less than $500! If you are going to offer this service you really need to look at design forums no offense but if you do know what you are doing that 200-300 is just shooting yourself in the foot

• Like 4

LOL! I am a web designer and I will not even start thinking about touching anything from scratc, wordpress, whatever for less than $500! If you are going to offer this service you really need to look at design forums no offense but if you do know what you are doing that 200-300 is just shooting yourself in the foot

Spot on. :)

You can't even begin to know what to charge until you consult with the client at length about what they want (color, fonts, extras, etc.) and provide a mock-up or give them a complete design plan. You can't just say "I do this for X amount of dollars" and set up shop. You'll get in over your head and end up with a mad client that wants a refund.

• Like 2

Pricing is a very tricky topic. You can either shoot too high or undercut yourself. You need the position the price with value and let them see it as an investment not expense. I agree with knowing the website goals of your client prior to submitting a price. But if you are looking for a guide on pricing here is an interesting video put out by ithemes:

• Like 5

Pricing is a very tricky topic. You can either shoot too high or undercut yourself. You need the position the price with value and let them see it as an investment not expense. I agree with knowing the website goals of your client prior to submitting a price. But if you are looking for a guide on pricing here is an interesting video put out by ithemes:

The prices in this video seem more on point. I certainly agree that pricing will depend on your clients needs/wants as well. I charged $1000 for a basic website setup and my client didn't blink an eye.

• Like 1