Hi Everyone,

I am Heather Whitehouse. I started my VA business this week biggrin.gif but, I am having problems getting clients. I have been talking to people handing out business cards ect. Advertising costs right now are at $0 b/c I am finishing Mat. leave. Any ideas? I did have one lead but, they wanted a goffer.

I was a hairdresser for the last 10 years and will be using this a niche. I have also worked in the CFL (Canadian Football League) and the NLL (National Lacross League). Just to give you a small background on me.

Heather Whitehouse

Reliable Virtual Assistant

Hi Heather,

If you just started this week, I'd give it some time!!

Find networking groups online and offline, tell any one who will listen what you do, spread the word!!

kimmer biggrin.gif

Hi Heather and welcome to the group.

Like Kimmer said, it does take time (and add lots of perseverence), but it will come. Networking is absolutely the best thing that you can do - network everywhere!

Lori

smile.gif

Welcome to the gang Heather flowers.gif

I agree with kimmer and lori; networking is a great way to start. It will take some time to get that first client, but it will happen. I would suggest reading up on the past forum posts in the Marketing topic as there are a lot of stories and ideas on how to get started.

Ask questions and have fun while you're here. Hope to see you often.

cool.gif

Thanks for the info smile.gif I will be using hairdressers as one of my target market. I really like the idea of the business post cards. I will give this one a try.

Hi, Heather!

Welcome to the VA world! applause.gif

It definately takes time to establish yourself and get some clients, but it looks like you know what you are possibly going for, so that is great! Continue to market, pass out biz cards to everyone you meet, friends, family...everyone!!

I have pretty good responses from doing postcard mailings. You may want to try doing one of those. You might get a call! You never know! And...if you don't, try try again! It just takes time to make a business a success...whatever it is you're doing, but the BEST advice is...DON'T GIVE UP!!

....duh...if I read the posts completely, someone else already mentioned the postcards. Well..okay...I SECOND THAT ! thumbup.gif

Hi Michelle Lynn,

Thank you for your advice. I have been up since 6 am this morning getting things ready for next week. I have found a web host in my area that is a great price, printed out more biz cards ect. I will do the postcards - they sound like they work the best. thumbup.gif

Any more info or help would be greatly appreciated - even overflow. No time to sleep I have marketing to do! tongue.gif

Edited by heatherw

Hi, Heather!

You are too funny! I know there is SO much to starting out. You tend to overwhelm yourself! I still overwhelm myself. Then again. It's not hard to do when it comes to me. tongue.gif Get some sleep, though! zz.gif

I would just really focus on ANY inquiries...whether they are takers or not...that you receive from your first set of mailings...keep a really good log and hit 'em up again! It might just pay off! That's what's happening to me right now, actually. I am meeting an attorney tomorrow to possibly help her with some typing stuff. She was someone who originally called me when I was first starting out, but she never used me. But...I sent her a postcard recently, and WA-LA! I have an appointment with her tomorrow...cross your fingers! Hee Hee biggrin.gif

Anyway...please keep on asking the questions! You make me think I know something when I can help! tongue.gif

Hi Michelle Lynn,

I know I seem "funny" but, I really want this to work. I have been involved with MLM before was put into $1,500.00 debt because my who up-line vanished and I was stuck with everything (products, training manuals the list goes on). So.....I do not want this to fail b/c I know it is just me and I have no one to blame but me if it does not suceed.

Good luck on your meeting today thumbup.gif . You will get the job, I have a good feeling. Let me know what happens o.k.

Where did you get your postcards done, at a printer or did you do them yourself. This is what I am debating right now.

I will keep asking questions, if you do not mind.....and I am sure you do know something tongue.gif

Hi, Heather!

Oh by all means, I hope you didn't get the impression I was thinking your BUSINESS was funny. unsure.gif I KNOW you are serious about doing this and you CAN and WILL succeed!!! I'm sorry to hear about your past experience. That's really difficult. It's tough, I know. I'm glad that you are ready to go-for-it and pursue another interest!

I do my own postcards. When I make it big, I will think about letting the printer do it. biggrin.gif I just buy a good stock at Office Max and use my printer. I'm not sending out hundreds at a time, but I do like to set myself monthly goals - even if it's low. Maybe 100 a month or so I think I might go for...maybe 50 at least. I can't afford to do too much at once. Budget calls!! Actually, "budget" is a HUGE brick wall right now! wacko.gif I know Vistaprint does have some pretty good deals on postcards as well as other stuff. You might want to check them out for some of your material needs.

Oh...both appointments had to be cancelled for today, but I'm meeting with one tomorrow that is rescheduled. I'm still waiting for a call from the other (the "main" one, too! Go figure!). So...as soon as I actually "have" the meetings, I'll let ya know!

Have a great evening!

smile.gif

Hi Heather,

Welcome! I am also looking for creative ways to market myself. I am going to look into postcards too.

Michelle - when you print your own postcards do you use a laser color printer or an inkjet? I have an inkjet and am wondering if I can make them look professional enough with that?

Another marketing idea I have is to contact all of my friends and acquaintances that are "well-networked" and invite them for coffee and tell them what I do. I will ask them to please refer me to their friends. I am designing a brochure right now that I can give to them to help them understand better what it is I do. I am finding that word "virtual" is putting some people off.

Good luck!!! biggrin.gif

Sally

I'm also going to be distributing postcards, brochures, and business cards. Since I'm on a limited budget right now, I thought it might be a good idea to make them available at neighborhood community centers, restaurants (with permission, of course), maybe even some local ISP offices, and other related places. What do you think?

I am also doing the brochure, postcard thing! I printed my postcards on shiny card stock and they look really good. At first I put to much on the postcard and it looked cluttered. I also used a matte card stock and didn't like the finish. It looks great now...I am starting to do some marketing on Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed because I really want this to work!

Nancy smile.gif