Tawnya Sutherland

Male Virtual Assistants, a new niche?

I've been reading online through my social networks that male Virtual Assistants actually are finding themselves a minority in the VA business. Let's change that and bring some light to male Virtual Assistants! :)

Men make up 5% of the VA industry and its super cool to start seeing them wear the VA hat.

Let's discuss some of the challenges (and successes) you are finding getting started in the VA industry...

• Like 3

OMG I never noticed this cozy forum space before haha. All to myself! But seriously, would be good to see more male VAs. I think that problem is there's a consensus that it is like secretarial work. I think men could exploit the tech side if they knew the categories of being a VA etc.

Another oddity is I see a lot of 'free' tier male members in the forums. They often come and go.

Ironically I posted on facebook today encouraging men to join. Perhaps I need to lead by example.

• Like 3

Well, I am a newbie and male, looking for ways to work on line from Guadalajra, Mexico and along with proofreading/editing, working as a Virtual Assistant was one of the options touted. So, here I am trying to learn all that I can before I put my feet in the water.

• Like 3

Your not that alone! Tawnya that explains A LOT! I have been wondering why everywhere I was going and looking and reading was geared toward woman and moms etc. a 5% figure would explain that! I have also noticed that in my corporate life! Only a few male EA's surrounded by many female and you tend to get overlooked. Not only am I a man trying to get into the VA game but I am single so I only have the one income and that is a major concern as to when you will feel ready to make the jump and quit the guaranteed paycheck!

• Like 4

I didn't realize that there had been some responses since I posted. I do apologize, I have been distracted lately, Like Tankerzuke, I am single, currently working at a call center doing customer service for Amazon.com. I hate my job but it is currently paying the rent, for the grocery and the occasional cervezas. So, I am going to make a more concentrated effort to become a VA in the next two months. My "why" is that I don't want to deal with anymore irate customers and I want my freedom to be able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.

• Like 1

Another male here who isn't really sure what a VA is. I thought I knew, but the little bit of looking around it did seems to be very geared to the female VA's.

Any tips to what types of services work better for the male VA's?

• Like 2

Hi glad to see this thread alive and well!

@gasser, some people will think of VAs as purely administrative. But there are other types of VAs like Social Media VAs, Technical VAs, Internet Marketing and Writing VAs to name a few.

The people here at VA Networking and I discussed at one stage that I should be positioning myself as a web developer. That's not to say there is anything wrong with a Virtual Assistant title but it may have stereotyped views attached in my somewhat unique case.

Why don't you start by telling us what you are passionate about, what you are good at and we can brainstorm on how we can transform that into an online positioning.

@tankerzuke you are definitely not alone. I think online it's easier, but when I enter into a room for an event full of women; I tend to feel out of place. I bet women feel the same way too about male oriented areas like Information Technology.

The best story was when I was a teenager my mother took my sister and myself to see a movie called "The Full Monte". I had no idea what that meant but said 'yea i'll go'.

Turns out when the audience exited the theatre, I was the only Male (seemed movie was about male undressers lol). I was so embarrassed and to add further insult, my mother said "Oh, you are the only guy here." LOL I guess she thought I would feel special but I was more alienated.

So I think acknowledging there is men here is a great way to feel less alone. Although no one's to blame and everyone has opportunity here.

• Like 1

Personally I feel male VAs have an advantage over us females as they are fewer and farther between (almost a niche in itself being male in this industry LOL). There are some clients who just interact and engage better with males (for whatever reasons). I interact and engage myself better with male clients than female ones. I find them most times more logical in their thought processes and not as gabby (sorry gals, couldn't think of another word here at the moment and didn't want to use dramatic LOL) which means we get right to the root of their needs quicker. That's my style of working which is probably why I love working for men as we connect well and get the work done in a streamline fashion I enjoy. So my bets are that there are many women like me who prefer to work with men. Just my two cents ;)

• Like 1

Hi! I'm still alive! LOL! I've been working on getting all my stuff up and going! Got sick of the corporate gig and said to hell with it and went and got a business loan and started staying home at the begining of August. I have over 15 yrs admin experience in the military and corporate world so I know all too well what it is like to be one of a few. Yes @markofapproval people do tend to question a males ability when they see you are an admin but then I show them what I'm capable of and kill that worry!

I am kind of purplexed when I see people trying to get into this side of the industry and don't know what to do. I think you should at least have some administrative backgroud or you're really just an IT person. I plan to offer some admin services along with web design (Went to school for it) and photography (30 yrs experience). I think I will do alright even as a male since I have confidence in my abilities and determination not to fail.

Zuke

• Like 3

I agree with all of you...I have one more amazing quality...I am african American!! I love the conversations with people...How did you get here? What kind of skills do you have? I am very good at what I do... so please promote us MEN!!! And me of course!!! LOL

• Like 2