I'm a Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I joined 2-3 days ago and have spent a good bit of that time exploring as many threads as possible. There's so much valuable information & feedback. Although, I have a business name & have reserved the domain, I don't yet have a website. I'm hearing so much about WordPress but don't consider myself technically savvy and definitely need plug and play or a web designer. I'm starting on a shoestring though & need to get something up and running without breaking the bank that I don't yet have. :addohno:

I have 15-20 years of experience in the Administrative field, working my way up from general clerical & receptionist type positions to Admin & Exec Assistants. I worked for a large university until this past spring, when it was time to move on. I first saw Tawnya's name when I did some research (years ago) and discovered the FabJob guides. After years of research, it seemed time to "take the plunge" and not wait til things were "perfect" before starting. (One never starts when looking for perfect conditions, do they?)

The wonderful thing is even without a website or receiving paperwork confirming my trade name from the state, I already have my first client! I met this wife and her husband at a coaching event back in July. That 30 minute networking segment has helped encourage me that I'm moving in the right direction.

At this point, my "children" are of the 4-legged variety - two boy kitties. One was a gift to replace my little girl who died after 10 years & the other one started as a feral kitten, I met while still in his Mommy's tummy. After months of feeding him outside to get him to trust me and 12 cancelled vet appointments because I couldn't catch & get him in the carrier, #13 was our number! He's been inside for a year & a half now and quite the character. He's come a long way from the little guy who hissed when I fed him.

I feel like I'm writing a Long "short story" but trying to follow the guidelines for the introduction. But, I'll stop now and share more down the road.... Thanks for reading my long-winded intro!

Pamela

Hi Pamela, welcome to VAnetworking! :)

I think you can figure out WordPress, it isn't very hard. There are tons of affordable training programs such as VTC for only $30 a month and it gives you access to hundreds or maybe thousands of available training courses. Angela Wills also has a great program, it just costs more, but is well worth it.

Funny you wrote about cats, fed an old cat here that wanders around the apartment buildings and now he has been following me around all day. I think I made a new friend.

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for taking the time to write a note. I really appreciate it! Thanks for your suggestions. I've been doing some research & discovered several video courses. I'll be starting the first one this week for sure. Stepping out of the comfort zone is how we grow. :flowers: Thanks again!

Pamela

Welcome Pamela! I've been so busy getting ready for my conference in Vegas this week that I almost missed your intro ;)

Cool that you have one client already, the first one is always the hardest to get.

I'm glad that you have been finding the resources here helpful. If you can't find something let us know and we will direct you there.

Wordpress.org is free open source and the best route I think to get up and running quickly and in an affordable many. We even have a wordpress forum area to ask questions when you run into them setting up your website.

Glad you joined and enjoy :)

vainsiders.jpg

Thanks for taking time out of your very busy schedule to reach out Tawnya. I appreciate the welcome and encouragement!

• Like 1

Usually I'm not this busy but always seem to get swamped right before attending a conference. I still have to pack but will do that tomorrow. I did get all my work caught up and should be able to almost take the whole 5 days off and just enjoy the conference ;)

Typically I am in here every morning networking :)

vainsiders.jpg

Danielle,

I realized I didn't respond about your "new friend". Yes, he just wants some human loving. Some cats are as affectionate, if not more than people think dogs are sometimes. They can even be trained. My boys aren't such good listeners at this point. But, I taught my girl cat to sit for her treats!

It's amazing what tools are available online with a little bit of digging. Thanks to you both for your good ideas about learning tools. My learning "to do" is blossoming. :)

Pamela

• Like 1

Guest KarenC

Hello Pam!

I'm a bit of a newbie as well. I've been researching VA's for a couple of weeks and tossing it back forth. I currently work for a law firm but I find myself searching for another source of income that may one day, be self-sustainable. I'm in the infant stages and I don't even have any clients yet! I have however, started a profile on www.beyond.com hoping to generate some business. As things progress forward a website will be in the near future.

I'm seeing a lot of people offering desktop publishing as a service and I know nothing about it. I'm wondering if there is any type of free training I can take to get a handle on that? That is on my to-do-list.

I have the space in my house carved out for an office but I need to upgrade my laptop, get a separate phone line, fax and printer. Like you, money is a bit tight so I need to find a way to get what I need at discounted price.

Anyway, good luck!

Hi KAC,

Thanks for your message & congratulations of joining the forum! I'm still investigating the forum for resources myself. I'd recommend typing desktop publishing in the Search and seeing which threads come up. But, there are quite a few video tutorials available for learning different applications online.

Candy, our moderator, is co-founder of the VA League. If you go over there you'll find a Getting Started webinar. I've found that very helpful. I also think your idea of starting a profile on beyond.com is very creative. I need to register in order to see it though. I will do that for sure!

Hi KAC,

Thanks for your message & congratulations of joining the forum! I'm still investigating the forum for resources myself. I'd recommend typing desktop publishing in the Search and seeing which threads come up. But, there are quite a few video tutorials available for learning different applications online.

Candy, our moderator, is co-founder of the VA League. If you go over there you'll find a Getting Started webinar. I've found that very helpful. I also think your idea of starting a profile on beyond.com is very creative. I need to register in order to see it though. I will do that for sure!

I wanted to pass along I have a multi-function printer, scanner, copier which I purchased from Ebay. It's pre-owned but works well & only cost $55. Actually, I ended up getting a credit from the seller because there was no power cord. So, it was even less. With a little digging, refurbished items can be had for deeply discounted prices.

Guest KarenC

Hi Pam!

Thanks for the info. I will check out eBay. I know there is a multitude of resources our there. My name is Karen. I should probably change that! I think you're about 4-5 hours from me? I did check out the webinar last night. It was helpful, thanks. I'm curious about setting fees, do you know anything about that?

Fees...Karen, I remember struggling with what to charge when submitting a proposal to my first client. I suspect I ended up going a little low because I was pretty clueless. At this point, I don't have the social media, internet marketing experience that's so hot now. Those skills allow us to command a higher fee too. So, continuing education is definitely on my To Do list for business growth!

There's so much info online with recommendations on fees but my head was swirling from overload. If you do a search for client fees, there's a ton of info on the site. It's a good place to start. I'm still finding nuggets of wisdom from these posts myself.

Oh, on the free resources front, you might check out Alison Learning.