Sign in to follow this  
klschuermann

Client input form/blog options

I have a client who has a very basic HTML site, less than 10 pages, some text, a few pictures thats it. Purely an HTML site. In the past they have had me make changes to the page twice a year when they have a sale scheduled where I add a page with a link to their sale catalog (pdf file).

The customer has asked for a page in which they can log in and add their own pictures and text on a more regular basis. They are looking for something similar to a blog, or a form in which they enter the information and it's then imported into my HTML code.

Before I commit to doing this (or directing them to someone else) I want thoughts on the easist way to implement their request. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

Thank you in advance!!

Kelly

Not sure what service or products your client sells, but if they were my client, I'd move them to a CMS... quick smart. WordPress is my tool of choice - the best in my humble opinion (have experience of Drupal and Joomla too); regularly updated code, easy to add all types of content on the fly, all manner of plugins and themes to choose from, add any type of functionality you care including ecommerce solutions.

• Like 1

I would suggest they just move their entire site over to WordPress. Maybe you could do that for them if they commit to it. I recently did it for my client as they wanted some changes to their HTML website. I was cheaper for me to redo the whole site into WordPress then make all the changes in their HTML website. Now they are able to easily make changes to their site through the WordPress platform and they are very happy they made the switch.

• Like 1

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner! Thank you both. I'm honestly afraid that both options would be to much for them to handle. Facebook and email are about the extent of their internet usage. This is a ranching family, they originally hired another rancher who dabbled in HTML to design their site.but in the end he was just too busy to keep up with the monthly updates they wanted. ( As of right now it consists of them emailing me a couple pictures of cattle every month, cropping them, and uploading them to the page. ) Now they want to be able to post updates like, a post about moving cattle from pasture to pasture, a picture of the cows on pasture, etc.

The more time I've spent talking to them I really think the best option is for them to just email me the updates they want and I'll build them in myself.

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner! Thank you both. I'm honestly afraid that both options would be to much for them to handle. Facebook and email are about the extent of their internet usage. This is a ranching family, they originally hired another rancher who dabbled in HTML to design their site.but in the end he was just too busy to keep up with the monthly updates they wanted. ( As of right now it consists of them emailing me a couple pictures of cattle every month, cropping them, and uploading them to the page. ) Now they want to be able to post updates like, a post about moving cattle from pasture to pasture, a picture of the cows on pasture, etc.

The more time I've spent talking to them I really think the best option is for them to just email me the updates they want and I'll build them in myself.

What if instead of migrating the whole site to WordPress, if you think that's too much for them, instead create a link on their HTML site now that links to a regular WordPress or Blogger blog and they can start using that as a blog? I think they're pretty easy to use although it might involve a little on the phone training and sending them some tutorial videos.

Edited by PauletteVA