Just QuickBooks?

This seems to be the only bookkeeping forum here, and it seems to be all about QuickBooks. Doesn't anyone else out there use Sage 50 (Simply Accounting?)

I've been using Simply Accounting (to give it its old name) for eight years. I'm currently taking a course on QuickBooks, and I must say I don't really care for it much! Maybe it's because Simply Accounting is more aimed towards the trained bookkeeper, while QuickBooks seems to aim toward being usable for businesspeople even if they aren't bookkeepers.

Of course, part of the reason may be that VANetworking is primarily US-based, while Sage is a Canadian company.

Any other Simply Accounting/Sage users out there?

Jeri Woods, Dustwood Media

• Like 1

I used Simply Accounting when I worked in accounting and also liked it much better then Quickbooks. I never hear people talking about Simply Accounting in here also and always wondered why.

• Like 1

I think that bookkeepers (or many that I've talked to) actually prefer Sage. Why there is no conversations going on about it here is a puzzle LOL

Maybe Sage is simple and easy to use and therefore there are never any questions about it? ;)

Feel free to share any discussions on Sage and I'm sure there will be some interest.

• Like 1

I've been using Sage at work (just over a year) and I'm sure there's so much more to it than I'm using. I'll definitely be asking questions because there are features I'd like to use but I'm not sure how to set things up properly.

• Like 1

I like QuickBooks because it's what I'm used to. Our previous small business used it for years. Now I'm using it within my VA practice. Before making that decision, I considered some other software but when I realized that QB Professional (desktop) can track time and apply it to invoicing, I chose QB. One stop shopping for what I needed. Plus it allows me to run whatever reports I want and integrates with some tax filing software. I certainly don't know every option out there, and it's nice to hear what others are using. This just made sense for me given the options I found when I made my decision.

I use simply accounting Canadian addition but am finding that very few small businesses here use it so I just took on QuickBooks too. Now I have both so I can do either!

Sage is also a remarkable tool and is the best alternative of Quickbooks. What I believe in the business industry that the more feasible and hassle free one tool would be, the more would be the productivity at respective aspect. And hence with the same approach, I believe the usage of cloud based tools.

• Like 1

How is the desktop version different than on-line or the hosted QB?

Is there any drawbacks to the Desktop versions?

I was thinking of purchasing the QB2015 desktop version. I did some research and if you follow this link, it will give you people's feedback on both on-line https://quickbooks.intuit.com/reviews/.

Tawnya if you are reading this, I didn't see your Quickbooks link that says 2015? Just curious. When I am ready to order, I would like to order the latest version. I think I may go with the desktop version, but verdict still out. Wanted to get feedback from others.

Thanks!

Karen D

Yes, and the winner is "Desktop" QuickBooks. After doing research, this seems the best one for me.

Did not like the on-line ones at all. And for starting up and having to watch costs, better to upgrade the desktop version.

Just my own opinion :)

• Like 2

I'm still on the fence Karen but thinking I will stay with desktop myself. The only upside I can see to going in the cloud is maybe being able to import my Paypal easier but not even sure that will work being I run multi-currency anyhow.

I have used Peachtree (now Sage 50) for almost 20 years. In my opinion it works well for small/medium size businesses. I manage 20+ entities using Sage and have never had any real problems. And they regularly update the software (i.e. payroll tax updates) when you have the subscription. I have also used Quicken and QuickBooks and prefer Sage.