deniseaday1

Website strategy input needed: mixing business and personal.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some fun and innovative design and layout ideas for my move from Tumblr back to Wordpress that help me maintain a business and personal mix without getting overly complicated.

Having the biz and personal together on my website weirdly works for me -- or at least it has so far. It helped me ease back into VA work while not losing sight of the other issues and interests that are very important to me. It helped me keep things simple and frugal during the transition. It continues to help me attract clients that are wonderful to work with, because they get to see right up front what I'm all about. More often than not, as we're wrapping up a consult and I'm about to send my contract and invoice to get started, people laughingly and somewhat mischievously add that they "love my politics." Some will ask about where I live or about our cross-country moves; they'll mention they love cats or mountains too...this connection on a personal level is important to me. It makes my paid work more worthwhile and starts building a good client relationship right off the bat.

So...

I truly want to keep my deniseaday.com website personal+professional while stepping it up both design- and content-wise.

Does this mean a hub/portal that leads people to a separate site that's all business? (I still have adayva.com forwarding to deniseaday.com.)

Or are there some fun, innovative layout options that would allow me to keep it all together while giving visitors a way to access either all or only the type of content they're interested in? Maybe via blog categories that are included in page navigation?

It's a quandary I haven't figured it out yet, so if you have suggestions and/or examples I'm all ears and eyes!

Many thanks,

Denise

That is neat that it has worked for you mixing both personal and business. :)

You could use blog categories to make menus, that would be a good idea. I have menus on some of my blogs that use Categories to organize them. Just make sure your wordpress template supports custom menus. You can typically code it in if it doesn't, but if you aren't familiar with CSS it could get complicated.

• Like 1

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

That is neat that it has worked for you mixing both personal and business. :)

You could use blog categories to make menus, that would be a good idea. I have menus on some of my blogs that use Categories to organize them. Just make sure your wordpress template supports custom menus. You can typically code it in if it doesn't, but if you aren't familiar with CSS it could get complicated.

Thanks Danielle!

If you also have recommendations for best WP themes these days, I'd love to hear them. Not too complicated, but with the custom menus option and optimized for social media and SEO.