Sign in to follow this  
Yvette

Bookkeeping... Craigslist Ads... And Strategies for Advertising

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed one contractor posted their bookkeeping package rates on their Craigslist ads.

1) Should I take advantage of "free" advertising and post my hourly or package rates into Craigslist ads until I build enough of a clientele to afford to put up a website?

2) Or is this strategy ill advised as I run the risk of potentially being labelled a "fly-by-night"?

3) Do any of you advise using offline newspaper ads for marketing a new bookkeeping practice the way plumbers use them to advertise their businesses?

Any feedback, insight, or information would be greatly appreciated!

Have a Happy New Year!

• Like 1

I used to put ads on Craigslist but stopped cause I didn't have time to add them over and over again each time they expired. Plus you can only put it into one location at a time and I prefer not to have local clients.

If you do post onto Craigslist be aware of scammers, as there are plenty on there.

Providing exceptional online support services to businesses and entrepreneurs since 2010. Visit my website to learn more.

---

Brand New? Check out the Virtual Assistant Career Program.
Veteran VA? Check out the VAinsiders Club (Job Board, Group Coaching plus extensive training resources)

Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to have local clients, either--especially with the stiff competition in my small town. I'll have to think about whether I want to use Craigslist for a while...

Thanks, Danielle!

Guest InnovativeAdministrative

Hello VABee2011!

I have found Craigslist to be hit or miss and it truly depends on which Craigslist demographic area you are posting to.

When I was in Phoenix, it was a struggle (unusual because that is a city that uses Craigslist a LOT!). I would post ads and never once got a response from a posted ad, however, when I would reply to job postings with an introductory email I received a few responses.

Upon arrival to the Dallas area, where the Craigslist market seems to be somewhat quiet, my ads have been getting attention and I have received no response to the job postings that I reply to with an introductory email. It just depends on where you are, I guess. I have also learned that newspaper ads are far more effective here in the Dallas area, whereas it seems that the newspaper is infrequently read in the Phoenix market.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Hi Innovative Administrative,

Do you know how many new clients are coming through your Craigslist/Newspaper ads? How many of these leads convert to long-term clients?

The Craigslist in my small town is quite active. People use it to post jobs, apply for positions, etc. Two or three contractors are actively advertising on the site, so I don't know how successful I'll be? I guess all I can do is try!

But I've heard from a CPA that conversations and handshakes sell more than anything. Though, I'm open to all forms of advertising as long as it initiates calls and further questions.

in my views having a website is essential for virtual assistant business as you have many scopes for finding new clients. Craigslist and other classified sites can be used to target local clients but with website,You can target clients from many locations.

in my views having a website is essential for virtual assistant business as you have many scopes for finding new clients. Craigslist and other classified sites can be used to target local clients but with website,You can target clients from many locations.

I absolutely agree! Especially as a bookkeeper, a website is critical to show your experience and why you stand out from other bookkeepers. :) I have never tried Craigslist ads since there are an abundance of bookkeepers in the Denver/Boulder, Colorado area!

• Like 1

I recently posted my services on Craigslist. It is a "hit and miss" in my opinion. I received two excellent leads with another in the wings; however, I have been receiving many SPAM and bogus attempts for Work at home work which I never suggested or referenced. I used Craigslist, the Shepherds Guide and any other directory that will give me FREE advertising since my marketing budget is "0".

I have business plan and I don't want to spend any money to advertise unless I have too. It's tedious but worth it.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are having success with Craigslist :)

When I first started out my marketing budget was also $0. I soon enough realized however that you can't make money without spending a bit and started joining some VA organizations that had job boards. What a good investment of my money! Within 3 months I had a full client base not to mention a budget to now use towards marketing.

vainsiders.jpg

Posting ads on Craigslist is necessary, but you don't need to focus too much on it. Very competitive, especially in Bookkeeping niche. 2-3 ads per week on Craigslist are enough.

Craigslist- It's free, please don't ignore it, but don't focus too much on it.

That's my opinion.

• Like 1