Natasha P

Weebly (and other website builders)

…to be more specific….

I am going to help someone with their site (which is through Weebly). I have very limited html knowledge, a smidge of Sharepoint, and only about 6 months education in WordPress (so, even though I consider myself 'tech savvy', I am not someone who can build a site from scratch)

The template designs on Weebly are beautiful, it looks beyond super-duper easy, and the base package (+hosting) is FREE. ("starter pack" is only $4/month hosting)

So...I am wondering - what is the catch?

I would most like to hear from current users as to issues or drawbacks that they have found (or perhaps second hand knowledge too).

Thanks! :)

In the time since I have posted this…

Further research has shown me some feedback – folks say:

• customer service does not exist (not surprising if it is free)
  • the e-commerce elements have changed and are more limited (with commission fees)
  • they use stripe payments instead of paypal

I was suprized that Weebly wasn’t mentioned anywhere in this forum, but then again, many of the other free website builders that I have found in the past year are also not mentioned here in the forums

….So…

I just thought I would answer my own question for future readers :)

Any other feedback / comments would be more than welcomed!

• Like 2

Guest samuraislady

I've heard of both, and have lookedcat wix (a long time ago) I've also tried tripod and angelfire. The best one I found, and have used it for years is swirlweb put out by business success strategies. The customer service is excellent, they have loads of cms, blogs and other software and have a long list of programs you can download. When I started this years ago they were for older systems, but it's still worth checking into as there may be new or updated programs. Their rates are as low as 4.99US and the package I have allows for two extra domains besides the one you sign up with, with no space limits.

• Like 2

A website designer was contracted to register and design our page when we started. Now we want to assume responsibility for running our website , how do we go about this and what questions should we be asking?

Thanks

A website designer was contracted to register and design our page when we started. Now we want to assume responsibility for running our website , how do we go about this and what questions should we be asking?

Thanks

Did the web designer set up the hosting in your name or is it in their name? If it is in their name then your first step would be to figure out which company you would like to host it with, like for example, liquidweb. Or maybe you want to use the same company, just under your name.

You will want to contact the hosting company you plan on using and ask them what they require for the transfer.

Then you have to figure out where your web designer has your site hosted and get the required information.

Your new hosting company should help move it all over, it isn't too much of a process. You should make sure to fully backup your site before making any changes in case something happens.

Weebly - a good website builder, but there are others builders, such as WIX, Monfruit and others. Full list you can find on a completely non-commercial site http://www.webbuildersguide.com/. There will you find a description of the advantages and disadvantages of each builders. Good luck!

• Like 1

Weebly - a good website builder, but there are others builders, such as WIX, Monfruit and others. Full list you can find on a completely non-commercial site http://www.webbuildersguide.com/. There will you find a description of the advantages and disadvantages of each builders. Good luck!

Great website. Thanks

I tried Weebly but I already had a site on WIX and Weebly is, to me, just like Wix. I stayed with Wix. Love it. Customer support has been quick and easy to use. I need to learn WordPress though, for my peace of mind! I love knowing how things work and Word Press is so widely used.

…to be more specific….

I am going to help someone with their site (which is through Weebly). I have very limited html knowledge, a smidge of Sharepoint, and only about 6 months education in WordPress (so, even though I consider myself 'tech savvy', I am not someone who can build a site from scratch)

The template designs on Weebly are beautiful, it looks beyond super-duper easy, and the base package (+hosting) is FREE. ("starter pack" is only $4/month hosting)

So...I am wondering - what is the catch?

I would most like to hear from current users as to issues or drawbacks that they have found (or perhaps second hand knowledge too).

Thanks! :)

I have not used Weebly, but on the subject of starter hosting packages, I was very disappointed. If you plan on continuing to learn and grow you are very limited. I have just experienced this with my starter package. I did not have ftp services and was limited to 5 pages and in addition not being able to develop my experience with C-Panel administration and all the many tools available. As I am continuing my training, I found that the starter package did not work for me.

I have just purchased another domain and a new hosting package with all the above mentioned tools which includes unlimited domains at a very reasonable price.

• Like 2