Kathy H

Need phone "interview" tips!

I seem to be getting a lot of initial phone interviews lately, but can't seem to close the deal and get the job. There must be something I'm doing or saying (or not saying) when I interview, and I'm not exactly sure what that is.

I listen intently to the person explaining what the job entails, I tell them about myself as it pertains to the position. I also do my "homework" and read about the client so I know what the business is all about, and what the job is.

I just don't know what else to do to get the job.

Anyone have any interview tips that will help me close the job?

Kathy, try to record your next interview and listen to it later. Maybe you will notice what should be improve.

• Like 2

Be sure you are telling them not just about YOU, but what you can do for THEM! (Remember, in small business it's all about me - or to be more accurate, them!!) They probably researched you a bit before contacting you so your focus should be on them and how you can solve their problems/needs.

• Like 2

Kathy, you seem to be doing things just right technically, and have already gotten some excellent advice here that I hope has helped.

From a more personal observation perspective, I've noticed that I close sales more often than not when I:

- am confident that my KSAs match the inquiry well

- feel good about what the prospective does and how they presented their request (Are they personable? Would I be happy/excited supporting their mission?)

- feel relaxed (well rested, comfortable, fully prepared, undistracted, unstressed about the outcome <- if this one doesn't work out it leaves room for something better suited)

When any of these are out of whack, it doesn't tend to go well. If the first two are not true, I normally will not accept the consult request to begin with, and will instead try to refer as appropriate.

Hope this helps a little :)

Best,

Denise

• Like 3

How do you approach closing the sale?

Are you asking questions near the end like:

When would you like to get started?

How would you like to prepay your first retainer via Paypal, credit card or email money transfer?

I have an opening to take on a new client this month would you like me to set you up?

How about I email you my contract to look over and I will connect back with you in 24 hours?

Do you have any more questions about hiring a VA or are you ready to get started today?

Put the client into a position where they need to act towards hiring you.

Also make sure you followup at least three times to push them forward always putting a call to action in front of them.

Closing the deal will become more natural to you as you gain more experience in the interview phase. Think up a list of questions that will get them to sign on the dotted line or pay that first retainer. Have this list on hand during the interview choosing the appropriate call to action to say to them depending on how the call goes. :)

• Like 2

You seem to be doing all that required for qualifying a telephonic call, but your voice intonnations while you speak is equally important for the other person to understand what kind of person you are. Put your skills in a polite way and tell them that you worth get the job being the best candidate, don't ever talk about skills that you don't possess, be honest and yes you will get it.

• Like 1

I've seen it on National Geographic that during an interview, when asked about the skills, it's okay to tell honestly the interviewer the bad habits about yourself but make sure to end the sentence with the positive things that will make the whole thing a balance.

• Like 1