Guest Rebecca65

New to VA

Guest Rebecca65

Hello, I am interested in becomg a VA and have some residual equipment from my previous remote work-from-home office employment. What all do I need to start up VA in my home office?

I have a computer with Microsoft office 2010, an HP Photosmart All in One, land line, SmartPhone.

Thanks!

Hi Rebecca and welcome! One thing you'll need to a venue (website) to market yourself from. You may want to look into getting started with a Wordpress.org site and if you can find a ton of info about doing your own website here:

http://www.vanetworking.com/forum/index.php?showforum=85

You'll want a good internet connection, a reliable and fairly new computer and printer which sounds like you already have under your belt.

I have a startup checklist here at my Virtual Assistant in a Box website that you can download by signing up to my newsletter there.

Enjoy the boards!

• Like 1

Hi Rebecca and welcome! One thing you'll need to a venue (website) to market yourself from. You may want to look into getting started with a Wordpress.org site and if you can find a ton of info about doing your own website here:

http://www.vanetworking.com/forum/index.php?showforum=85

You'll want a good internet connection, a reliable and fairly new computer and printer which sounds like you already have under your belt.

I have a startup checklist here at my Virtual Assistant in a Box website that you can download by signing up to my newsletter there.

Enjoy the boards!

I don't even have a printer, if I do need something printed I just send it to staples and drive down the street to get it. :) I used to use yours but can't really do that anymore now that I don't work in your office.

Hi =) Well with that stuff, you can really have a good start, just add some determination and you will achieve what you really want. As a VA, it really don't matter how expensive and branded your equipment is, as long as you have the knowledge, I guarantee you that it will work. :)

• Like 1

I started up with only my existing home computer, printer/fax/scanner/copier, and a phone.

I only expand my software as needed according to my clients needs. I found this much easier on my start-up budget!

Sue

Tidy Tallies

• Like 1

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the VA Business and wanted to start networking and to get working as a subcontractor with a seasoned VA. I have over 20 years work experience and am very comfortable working with anything you happen to need done. Since I have always had digital transcription and or dictation machines at my fingertips at the office, I would also appreciate some guidance with this now that I am working from home.

I love this site, its fabulous and has so much great information one can use!

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Barbara (Toronto, Ontario Canada)

Barbara@bplukevichva.com

• Like 2

I started with (and still have/use), a computer, all-in-one printer/scanner/fax and land-line phone (I have 3 lines on that)... I eventually incorporated a laptop (no longer use), my smart phone, various software and tablet. I also have a transcription equipment (with the foot pedal), to transcribe tapes, but I haven't used that in well over 10 years! I keep it though because the day I get rid of it, I'll need it - it hangs out next to the typewriter that I never use either!

I think you're off to a good start with what you already have and as you go, you can include more things that you may need. Also, don't forget some office supplies - I am like a little kid at Christmas in an office supply store! :)

HI Barbara... welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to vanetworking. I, too, am new to virtual assistance. Your equipment list pretty much matches mine, minus the land line. I'm sometimes working away from home, so it helps that I also have an iPad and a laptop. I wanted to note that the smartphone is fantastic, and I consider it essential. You've worked remotely before, so you might already know this, but I've found that most of the business apps I use on my computer (e.g. Dropbox, Asana, Google calendar) have apps for the cell phone and sync automatically once you set that up. It's a great help.

• Like 1