AMichele1

Looking for a starting point

Hello All!

I am a newbie with an Accounting degree looking to possibly start a VA business. My question is, where do I start? Should I get certified in a software program like QuickBooks, Sage, etc., first? If so, which one do you recommend?

I want to work with small businesses to set them up and get their accounting systems running and possibly maintain them (I may look to eventually outsource to other bookkeepers). Your thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated?

Thank you :-)

AMichele1

Welcome! I am a 'Certified Quickbooks User', which really helped me to be sure I know Quickbooks really well. As far as starting a VA bookkeeping business, it's the same setup as any other type of small business at first. Check out Tawnya's Kickstart Your VA Business! Then, go through the forums and see what answers you can find up front. If you still have questions, send me an email as I help mentor start-up VAs in bookkeeping by answering questions, guiding toward resources, etc. :)

• Like 2

Hi AMichele1! Welcome here! I agree with Lily regarding the setup of any small business. What accounting tools online I often heard are Quicbooks, Freshbooks, and Zoho Invoice. Good luck as you start your VA business. :)

Hello AMichele1 and welcome!

I myself do basic bookkeeping for several small businesses in my local community, and I find that some of them don't even really require accounting specific software. Some of them prefer excel spreadsheets. As each client is different, I find it best to examine the client's needs before recommending an approach.

The first thing I discuss with the client, is WHO they want to enter the data.

1. If they are going to be entering the data, they need something they can work with, and it won't be helpful if the file "lives" on my pc. I have a few clients who are not very computer savvy, and they find an excel spreadsheet a lot less intimidating than accounting specific software.
  2. If they want to enter some, and have me enter some (for example I have a client who does her own invoicing, but has me enter all her receipts/expenses) then it needs to be something we can both access. For this situation, I find something web-based we can both log into is best. Wave is a program I have worked with before. It is *free for basic use, and can be set up to easily process credit cards.
  3. If they want to hand the entire process over to me, then I personally prefer Quickbooks. I have the program on my computer, and I am familiar with it. The file can also be sent directly to the accountant

Quickbooks is the best option in your case. I am not a quickbooks certified but have worked with lots of them. The way they manage the things is something out of the box. I have seen them thinking in a different way. My recommendation would go for quickbooks certification.

Hi everyone! Great question amichele1. I'm in the same boat with Accounting and Business Administration degrees, and looking into starting a VA business as well. I thought that my previous experience would be sufficient, but I'm now leaning more towards getting some certifications to brush up and increase my skills. There are some very useful answers in this post also. Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. Such a nice start to my time here at vanetworking.com.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Great question amichele1. I'm in the same boat with Accounting and Business Administration degrees, and looking into starting a VA business as well. I thought that my previous experience would be sufficient, but I'm now leaning more towards getting some certifications to brush up and increase my skills. There are some very useful answers in this post also. Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. Such a nice start to my time here at vanetworking.com.

Cool, glad you are enjoying the #VAforum here and hope you will introduce yourself formally to us in the intro forum area :)

I would suggest for Xero cloud computing software to use for your business run online. It allows driving your business online from anywhere around the world with just one click instance.It also works on iPhone & Android mobile apps. It is one of the easiest bookkeeping software tools to operate all your business transactions like managing invoice, bank reconciliation, bill payments, receipts, purchase orders, invoicing expenses & much more. 

Hope this helps you:)

Hi! Congratulations! 

I think that research and demos are both the most effective ways of finding the right accounting software for you. I use Ledgersync which allows clients to fill out their own details and then I can receive all their financial information automatically which is great for staying on top of things and I don't have to chase my clients for information like I used to with other software. 

I hope you find the right software for you :)