Who Uses Gmail?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok I just switched all my email over Gmail (formerly an Outlook user for past 15 years LOL).

I'd love to share ideas and ways to stay organized with Gmail with other members. If you have any tips let me know. ie) filter tips, label ideas, etc.

Right now I've got about 8 alias emails coming into my one Google account.

Anastasia Brice recommended this free program to revive my inbox www.reviveyourinbox.com

• Like 1

I noticed that labels in Gmail organize themselves alphabetically and my way around this to get a label up top of my list was to use a number before it ie)

1. VA Work To Do

2. VA Followup

Or you could also use a symbol like ! to put it to top of your list.

I've gotten ridden of categories completely as I can't seem to edit them can you?

• Like 2

Thank you for the tips and link to Revive your Inbox. I just signed up. I really like Windows Mail (formerly Outlook) because I use it with many different email aliases, and it seems to categorize Spam well.

I hadn't realized that we could also have different email aliases coming into Gmail. I use Gmail infrequently, but may use it more after learning that it has this feature.

Christin

• Like 1

I have (*ahem* slightly embarrassed!) 5 email accounts forwarding into 1 of my gmail addresses and 2 into my second gmail. I also have 2 hotmail accounts. I know, I know, they could all feed into Outlook but this way I can keep The Virtual Office Goddess, Brewery Bookworks, Muttly's Motorsports Merchandise and my husband's and my personal email separate... :mf_type:

• Like 2

I have email accounts all over the grid, but don't have any gmail accounts.

I use outlook to manage all my business emails.

Then I have a few outlook.com, hotmail.com email address I use for personal things like shopping sites and things like that and I just sign into those online.

• Like 1

For common email replies, there is a feature called "Canned Replies" that can be activated through Google Labs. I have found this practical to save what I often reply so I don't have to type the same thing over and over again.

To send emails at a later date/time, I use Boomerang for Gmail (www.boomeranggmail.com).

Recently I started using Google Agenda to remind me of tasks I need to perform. At a time I decide Google sends me an email to notify me that the task needs to be done soon.

Marie-Claude

• Like 3

I use Gmail for personal and all the professional development / email lists that I am on.

3 years ago I transitioned from Yahoo! (and it took about a year to clean everything out!). Up until last year I still had many accounts filtering in to Gmail (mostly a bunch from Grad School). I ended up experiencing my first email breach ever. At the time I also had Gmail filtered into Outlook. The hacking of my Gmail account wouldn’t allow me to log-in to Gmail (at first) and then, Outlook crashed completely from the link with Gmail. I had to call MS and create a whole new Outlook account (which took quite a bit of time and also meant I had to customize all my outlook settings all over again!).

I love love love Google Labs and all their tricks and innovations, but it is still a free email account…you may want to keep some things in silos (and monitor your forwarding and filtering regularly!).

I noticed that labels in Gmail organize themselves alphabetically and my way around this to get a label up top of my list was to use a number before it ie)

1. VA Work To Do

2. VA Followup

Or you could also use a symbol like ! to put it to top of your list.

:) - Tawnya,

I am a BIG FAN of David Allen - http://gettingthingsdone.com/

I try to get my inbox to zero (stretch goal most of the time), and use folders such as

“. Next Action”

“.Someday Maybe”

“.Waiting On”

etc..

And then I hide other folders without the “.”

(Fun > check your GTD IQ > http://www.gtdiq.com/)

• Like 1

Yes, I agree Natasha, starting to love using Gmail here and working on keeping my inbox empty ;)

Now when I send you an email and decide after that I didn't need to send it or that I need to add to it I can just go into your gmail and delete it.

• Like 2

We prefer to use Gmail, so far, this has been great when it comes to emailing and other features such as Drive.

I too use Gmail. I have about 7 different emails all directed through. I love the fact that I can show a reply to the email from the email it was sent to. But most of all I love the fact that it is web-based so that I can log in from anywhere with internet.

• Like 1

IN my whole professional career what ever email services I have used, gmail is one of the best service I have ever used. The usable and hassle free mail service makes necessary effort to give a good platform to work with.